Tent peg alternative. - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Tips and Hints

Tent peg alternative.

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 07-29-2018, 10:16 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Default Tent peg alternative.

I shared this on another forum and think people here could benefit from it, too. Even if you're not staking down a tent, a lot of people put up tarps, EZ-up canopies and other things that could use pegging down.

To me, the worst part of setting up a tent is having to stake them down. I know that's especially true for the Kodiaks. Staying bent over to pound down over a dozen 12 inch stakes can definitely take it's toll on older or otherwise damaged knees and backs. After one particular trip where the ground was mostly compacted clay and rocks, I was determined to find a better way.

A trip down the hardware aisle at a local Home Depot found me standing in front of a bunch of bins with what look like long, partially threaded lag bolts. They're from a company called Spax. I immediately bought 16 3/8ths x 8 inch bolts and 16 fender washers to match the 16 stakes my Kodiak needs. I later found that double thick washers which are hard to find, work better and are available at www.boltdepot.com.

The next trip out proved that I hadn't made a mistake in buying 'em. Yes, you have to carry a cordless drill to make it work but it seems that almost any two-speed drill gets the job done. I take out a Ryobi, which isn't the "torquiest" drill out there and, on low speed, the bolts went right to the ground in no time - even when I had to angle a couple because of rocks. I didn't time it, but I'm pretty sure all sixteen were set in less than 10 minutes - and my bad knee wasn't screaming at me. No more banging away on stakes for me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement