tips for camping on a budget - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Tips and Hints

tips for camping on a budget

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM

Another good place to check online is Craigslist. I looked at what was offered, and coupldn't find quite what I was looking for in the right price range. I posted a "looking for" ad, and I got a decent 9x7 dome tent, set of basic nesting pots & pans, HUGE cooler, cutting board, paring knife, misc cooking utensils, water carrier things, all for $75. The tent alone would have been more than that! I also got 3 OLD sleeping bags for $25 from someone else, but they match and are in good enough condition. ie, not torn up or stinky. Since they match, I can easily put 2 together to make a big one for the BF and I.
Just be careful like you would with any other site, try to meet people in a public place, things like that. Common sense things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Don't forget to checkout "freecycle". It is a national group that has local groups in your area (Maryland has groups broken down by counties). People "offer" stuff they are getting rid of instead of just throwing it away. People also post "wanted" items. I think they started it to keep things out of the landfills. In my area, most of these people are giving away some great stuff! I'm either too slow with the response, or it won't fit in my small home--aargh!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:13 AM

Yeah, they have it by cities/towns here in Northern Il. But I'm too slow, too... It's a good place to check, though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Another place to shop--Church rummage sales. The church near home is within walking distance, but I have to take the truck because my wife and I find to many bargains. We find stuff for camping and for home. Another thing is dumster diving. When the economy is bad the comptition gets higher.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Here is a common trick I use to make my flashlight batteries last a year or more. Simply turn the lower battery upside down and replace the top battery in the regular position. Just remember to switch the bottom when you next need your light. You will be amazed how long the batteries last when they are not 'trickle draining' !
Russ
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Checking craigslist if you have one in your area is great too. You can find all kinds of camping related stuff listed there. We once picked up a whole collection of camping stuff for $50....... chairs, easy-up, several icechests, mr. buddy heater and some other nic-nacs that someone had listed for just $50 for all. You just have to be on the look out and shop around for the best deals. Use camping equipment as holiday and birthday gifts ideas for your spouse and kids.

Oh and if you have a Target in your area... check with the camping and dollar spot area for camping items as they put those items on clearance several times a year.

PS: The dollar spot at Target and the Dollar Tree/ 99 Cents stores carry batteries for $1........ stock up on those!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Great suggestions from previous posts. Once you collect the items you need for camping you need to organize your equipment for storage and taking on your trips.
May I suggest reading these articles on how to do that.

Car Camping - How to Organize For Family Camping

Car Camping - Storage Tubs to Organize Camping Gear

Have fun camping it's a wonderful family ativity!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

if i was going to use a buddy heater all the time i would buy a small manchester tank to use with it.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

i have all my camping gear stored in rubbermaid containers,i put all three of them in my truck,take my 7 gallon water containers,and my trusty 357,and me and my wife go camping,along with my propane tank.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Camper

We also keep a close eye on the clearance isle at Wal-Mart. We have found some really good buys. I agree about the Goodwill/Salvation Army and yard sales, we do them a lot. Estate sales are good too, still using the coffee maker that I paid $1. for from one probably 10 yrs ago.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

We tend to frequent the local Facebook yardsale pages ,,, lots of good deals to be had but you have to be able to haggle

CSinNS

Carl & Michelle Spinney & Family
Yarmouth Nova Scotia

27.5 ft Skamper

" Try to be the person your dog thinks you are "
Old 03-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Camping Fanatic

Interesting, didn't know about facebook yard sales. Will have to check, are you hagglin online or going to their place like a real sale?

Ford Mainline
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Haggle online via comments or by inbox messaging ... its a good place to check ,,, around here anyway

CSinNS

Carl & Michelle Spinney & Family
Yarmouth Nova Scotia

27.5 ft Skamper

" Try to be the person your dog thinks you are "
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by russpmc View Post
Here is a common trick I use to make my flashlight batteries last a year or more. Simply turn the lower battery upside down and replace the top battery in the regular position. Just remember to switch the bottom when you next need your light. You will be amazed how long the batteries last when they are not 'trickle draining' !
Russ
Wow ... Russ ... this is interesting. As a technology professional, I'm trying to figure this one out (scientifically). Do you think the flashlight switch is 'leaking?'
RempRack Pickup Bed Bike Rack (5 bikes)

Camping and Biking with Family! The BEST!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

I agree -- we have found some great deals on craigslist, goodwill, and the mega-mart clearance isle.

Always remember .... Camping is all about life, family, and the great outdoors.

Don't make it about the "stuff". You will see many people who do -- where camping just becomes another way to 'show off' -- and then there's the whole 'keeping up with the Joneses' - extended to the campground.

I really take issue with that. It ruins the camping experience, and sets all of the wrong examples for kids. Some people are simply unable to break out of that mold.
RempRack Pickup Bed Bike Rack (5 bikes)

Camping and Biking with Family! The BEST!