Fire Starters - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Tips and Hints

Fire Starters

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Fire Starters

There are a few posts about homemade fire starters and I thought it would be handy to have them here under the camping tips area. So here is the list of fire starters and tips so far, feel free to add any others below.

- Dryer lint is highly flammable and makes an EXCELLENT fire starter. Best of all its free!

- Take one of those big fire logs you use for fireplaces, cut it into smaller pieces. You can make 15-20 fire starters out of one large fire log.

- Take 100% cotton balls and rub them entirely with Vaseline. Store them in a zip lock bag until you are ready to use.

- Put a piece of charcoal in each section of a paper egg carton. Cover with melted wax and just tear off one at a time when you need them.

- You can cut milk cartons into strips and cover them with wax. You can use these as kindling in case where your camping there is not much dry small wood or limbs around.

- Save any used wooden popsicle sticks and use them as fire starters.

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Camper

I showed my 6 year old son how dad starts his fires without matches last weekend. I use dryer lint and mix it with petroleum jelly and store it in a zip lock with a fire steel. It always starts with the first spark and burns for several minutes, long enough to catch the tender.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

I cheat.....propane torch and or gasoline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Propane torch does work. You can put the dryer lint into the toilet paper or paper towel tubes also.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 07-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Camper

thanks for sharing!
as a newbie, i sometimes really find it annoying to start fire. i think i'll try your tips next time camping.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Camper

We use on our home heather/stove a mix of wood shaving and a fifty/fifty mix of old frying oil and diesel fuel (or petroleum). You can get the frying oil for free from a restaurant owner.
We have it premixed in a small barrel and then fill it in a coffee can.
We use 2 or 3 big spoons full under and over the fire-wood, it burns without smoke and fume. All my friends are excited about. We do not need many small branches to start a fire, this mix lights up even bigger logs.
If I find an suitable container (safe and sealed) - we may try this on our next trip.

Tip: Use a small battery driven fan to help starting a fire. Sometimes, there is still enough heat under ashes from the previous fire. Adding a few small branches and using the fan, a new fire will start easily on the next morning!

Happy camping - walter and dianne.

Last edited by santurinos; 08-17-2010 at 07:24 AM..
Old 08-18-2010, 04:50 AM
Camper

awesome tips, never thought to use dryer lint
thank you guys
Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Thanks guys.

These are fantastic tips. I especially like the charcoal in the paper egg carton. Will take that one with me on my next trip.

Jamie.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

there are all really nice tips! thanks for the share.

Last edited by happiestcamper; 01-20-2011 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Advertising links removed
Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

melt candle wax,throw in some cottonballs in to a can,take a eggcarton and add cottonballs,about 3 in each hole, pour hot wax on cottonballs,let wax harden,you will find that the wax will soak into cardboard and cottonballs,and when the wax hardens,cut up the eggcarton into single firestarters,each one will burn for about 10 to 15 minutes after you light them,and it makes no difference if it is raining,because they will continue to burn unless it is a down pore.
and they are small enough to carry in a pocket or fanny pack,or in your backpack,car trunk,or even your glove box.do not forget a lighter and allso carry matches.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

I have to try this, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideout View Post
melt candle wax,throw in some cottonballs in to a can,take a eggcarton and add cottonballs,about 3 in each hole, pour hot wax on cottonballs,let wax harden,you will find that the wax will soak into cardboard and cottonballs,and when the wax hardens,cut up the eggcarton into single firestarters,each one will burn for about 10 to 15 minutes after you light them,and it makes no difference if it is raining,because they will continue to burn unless it is a down pore.
and they are small enough to carry in a pocket or fanny pack,or in your backpack,car trunk,or even your glove box.do not forget a lighter and allso carry matches.

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideout View Post
I've used this but, instead of cotton balls I use dryer lint. They are awsome
Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

if you are in a pinch try using potato chips,,, they burn really well with all the grease in them. we have used them to start many fires. Steel wool is another item you should keep in the pack ,,, works great to start fires
if you are using matches make them waterproof by dipping them in wax.
lots of great ideas that you all have posted

CSinNS

Carl & Michelle Spinney & Family
Yarmouth Nova Scotia

27.5 ft Skamper

" Try to be the person your dog thinks you are "
Old 06-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzican View Post
I cheat.....propane torch and or gasoline.
HaHaHa. Good ol' tiger torch.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Camper

I just carry an old phone book, the pages are perfect for getting a fire started. About the size of a double egg carton and will start hundreds of fires from one book.