Neat new wireless tool - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Tips and Hints

Neat new wireless tool

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Arrow Neat new wireless tool

I don't work for the company, and I make no 'kickback' on this- I was asked to review it, and I found it to be very, very good. So I want to share it!

It's a USB directional wifi. It's intended to go onto the laptop and plugs in with no hassle. Yet it grabs distant signals (like the campground office!) and separates the world of signals to get the one you want, with less noise.

I wrote a review at: Wi-Fire: for the hunt!

It works with Windows, Mac, and Linux; on Linux it's plug-n-play. It's only $60, and fits right into the laptop bag! If you enjoy it, let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Talking Mac iBook

This sounds like just what I am looking for.....I hope it will work with iBook..I just hate buying off the internet because it is such a hassle when something has to be returned......
Old 09-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvaughn View Post
This sounds like just what I am looking for.....I hope it will work with iBook..I just hate buying off the internet because it is such a hassle when something has to be returned......
Well I definitely understand, though if you pay with Visa, there's an additional level of warranty.

Did you plan on using this for your vehicle's connectivity, or your laptop's? I'm about to test something else...possibly next week, intended to be installed in the vehicle. I have a different arrangement, here.

Some older HP Pentium3 cases have a metal 'skid' that holds both the motherboard and the daughter boards, too. If you put this in a closet with a Pico-PSU (with the wide-input range, 6-32V) you get a computer you can bring with you: it'll run on just 12V and away we go!

It's that very platform I'm working on, now. Inside the vehicle I connect by wire, since I'm sensitive to the insecurity of wireless. I firewall the heck out of the vehicle's internet, and live on the safe side, inside.

This platform will announce the passing of time; mine says "<bleep>The Time is 14 30".

I have other plans; how cool would it be to hear: "<bleep>Temperatures will go below 32 tonight. Propane stores are low." But to hear that at 10AM, when the camp store is still open?

That's the kind of base functionality, right after climate control, that I'm working to achive. Things are slow right now, but the site's at CounterMoon.org if you're curious.

All the software and the lessons-learned are going onto the net. If you want to do any part of this as well, you're free to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

how can it be directional?? Do you have to "orient" your PC?? Certainly most antennas are directional in some sense, and some can actually be tuned for that. But, doing so via a USB port seems a challenge. Is it simply corded to the USB port?

Last edited by bdean; 03-09-2011 at 08:56 AM..