Pre package your meals at home - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

Pre package your meals at home

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM

Default Pre package your meals at home

My wife makes meals ahead of time before we go and uses her seal a meal to package each meal individually, then it is easy to cut open, dump into pan and cook, she's great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

That is good, do you just freeze it, or depends on what it is? What kind of meals does she put together this way?

Ford Mainline
Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

That is actually a great idea. I never thought of it. She is one smart lady!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Fortner, she makes a great campers breakfast , with potatoes ,bacon or sausage, eggs, cheese, onions, she cuts everything up except the eggs and seals it and then you can cook potatoes,bacon, onions all in one pan , then add eggs at the end so they dont get over cooked. The biggest thing is getting most of your food cut and prepared before you leave, makes it much easier in the field.
Also getting some food out of there boxes and cans gives you more storing room in fridge and cabinets.
She makes other meals that way too, I will talk to her and reply,

And yes Kiteri she is VERY smart, she makes me look dumb sometimes.<G>
Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 AM
_
Camper Type: None

Many uses for seal-a-meals when camping. We'll cook some chicken spaghetti at home, then put in a bag and freeze (don't vacuum it when you do this, you want some air in this one). Then our first night, we just throw the bag in a big pot of boiling water for awhile - no messy cooking (if you vacuumed that, it wouldn't heat properly).

I'll also mix up the dry ingredients for things such as pancakes, and vacuum pack those - I never have to worry about them getting wet, plus they don't take up as much room.

I'll also buy pork loins and beef roasts when they are a good deal, and seal them up and put them in the freezer (use a sharpie to write a date on them so you can rotate them out). Put one of these in your camper's fridge, and by the time you cook, they are thawed, and they have helped your fridge stay cold. I'll also put our rib eyes in the bags with marinade, and freeze them before we leave - they're just fine after a few days.

Eat well when you're camping and everybody is happy
Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 PM

this is also perfect for marinating your meats too!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:54 PM

Excellent ideas all, keep it up and the whole world will be as smart as us.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

What an idea!!! I have had a "seal-a-meal" for years but have never thought about preparing meals in them for camping!!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Definitely the way to go. I do some things that way to, like make hamburger patties, season them, then vacuum seal and freeze. When I go camping, thaw and cook, easy!

I have also done this with meatloaf, salmon, steaks and other things.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 PM

I use a variation of this. I make breakfast burritos at home and put them in aluminum foil. Then all you have to do in the morning is throw them on the fire. Makes breakfast quick and it has all the things that you want in a breakfast. And no clean up.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM

I have found ways over the years to cut time & effort when it comes to food preparation while campin. When we first started camping, it seemed like I spent more time cooking & cleaning on camping trips than I did at home. What fun is in that!!! Here are some of my short cuts. Hope it helps...

Great arrival night meal - Sloppy Joes - Brown crumbled hamburger & onions before you go (no messy greasy clean up on the trip) & put in double zip-lock bags. Just warm up & pour on your sloppy joe sauce; a bag of buns & there you have it - kids love them too!!!

Deviled eggs - make your filling before hand - put in double zip lock bags. In seperate zip lock, store your egg whites. when ready to make - just cut of corner of bag & fill the egg whites. a great traditional BBQ favorite w/o all the work!

I double zip lock bag everything going in the cooler - NOTHING is worse than water logged food!!

Invest in a rice cooker & crock pot - amazing how you can put your meal on in the morning & then spend the rest of the day enjoying your family & the outdoors. And usually only 1 pot to clean!!

Canned meals are nice for lunch sometimes or arrival/departure. i.e. - ravioli; chicken chow mein (over rice). Less to keep in the coolers & no possiblities of spoiling.

I've even pre-cut fruits & veggies for easy access for the kids.

Happy Camping
Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Camping Fanatic

We just had homemade sloppy joes tonight, they were great!

Ford Mainline
Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

All great ideas!! Thanks everyone... with six of us, I can see me putting all these into action...the deviled egg idea is great...thanks again, everyone....I just love this site!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I've always made more soup (almost any kind) than we can eat at home. I freeze in quart containers. When we camp, I toss in a couple of different soups. Since I have a microwave, it doesn't take much to thaw and reheat. Combine with a sandwich and you have a great homemade meal without the fuss. kkd
Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 AM

She is smart lady . But she shouls try some instant recipe which can made in rv quicker and faster and indeed fresh everyday .