Pre package your meals at home - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

Pre package your meals at home

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

i'm sure the breakfast sprinter31's wife bags up is better but Jimmy Dean makes some stuff that comes frozen in a bag like that. you just put it in a skillet, cook about 7 minutes then add eggs. cook a can of whop biscuits and you got a good/quick/easy breakfast (well for us it usually ends up brunch). it has potatoes, onions, peppers and either ham or bacon or sausage, in freezer section somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 12:08 AM

It is better to prepack to save your time and energy. So that you could really enjoy the camp with your family.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I use my crockpot a lot when camping; I make up biscuit and pancake mix and vacuum seal it; I pre-cook different things; I put together spices for red beans 'n rice so all I have to do is soak the beans, then add water and spices.

I also LOVE to fix soups and nothing is easier than using "BEAR CREEK COUNTRY KITCHEN dry soup mixes. They make about 1/2 gallon, so there are leftovers for the next days lunch. I use the Cheddar Broccoli, Chicken Noodle, Creamy Wild Rice and Tortilla. They also have chili, minestrone, and several others. I have tried different brands, but these just seem to be better than the rest. They cost $3.48 each at our local Walmart. Just add water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

this is a good idea,me and my wife do this every year because hyou can freeze it,then pack in your cooler just before you leave to go to your destination,and your food is allready to go,not to mention you can boil water and heat up your food right in the food saver bag,in the water on a open fire.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Note, be careful using ziplocks and seal a meals as the container for boiling the contents unless they specifically say so (if not, assume they are NOT suitable). The plastic is not made for this (according to the manufacturer) and other plastics are preferred. Check whatever plastic to use if you want to boil the contents to ensure that the plastic does not leach into the food. You want to eat the food, not the food tainted with plastic.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

artmart is right, you do need to make sure the bag can be boild with food in it,i will tell you that foodsaver bags are designed to cook food in,but some other ones are not.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

Thumbs up

These are fantastic ideas, totally awesome
Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack0109 View Post
Great ideas! I used to boil pasta and store it in bags too. Just add sauce.
You're losing your touch - first post without advertising links in it.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Something you can do if you have a big group, is at home put in individual bags stuff you put in an omelet. Like having chopped ham, shredded cheese, chopped onion or/and green peppers or anything else you can think of. Then one morning camping everyone can just put in what they want in a freezer seal bag. All you have to do is add eggs. Drop in boiling water and watch it cook. It’s a great way of having individual eggs.