Campfire Mac & Cheese - a MUST for your next camping trip! - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

Campfire Mac & Cheese - a MUST for your next camping trip!

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By basicallycooking
  • 1 Post By carol palmer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Smile Campfire Mac & Cheese - a MUST for your next camping trip!

This is the perfect recipe to bring along a spring/early summer camping trip since the cheesy goodness and comfort food feelin' of Mac & Cheese is perfect for a cool evening. It's super easy to prep and packed in mini personal-szied tin pans for an easy cook & clean up at the camp site. It's basically just a mix of store bought Alfredo sauce and lots and lots and lots of cheese!! I decided on a mix of smoked gouda, old cheddar and mozzarella for my recipe and it turned out delicious!

Ingredients
1 454g box of elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded smoked gouda
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 410ml jar of store-bought alfredo sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 cup of pasta water (reserved after cooking the macaroni noodles)

Summarized Directions are below. You can see the full step by step recipe and pictures of the prep and campsite cooking at my blog here: https://www.basicallycooking.com/sin...t-camping-trip

1. Cook the pasta in salted boiling water then cool the pasta to at least room temperature .

2. Once the pasta has been cooled, pour the alfredo sauce into the mac and stir until combined. I added in 1/4 cup of the pasta water to create the consistency I wanted then add in all of the shredded cheese, the salt and the pepper and mix together.

3. Package in mini tin pans and top with more cheese. I packaged 4 pans into one extra large zip lock bag to waterproof for the cooler

4. Cooking on the campfire: Place the pans on a grill over top the campfire. Cook for about 30 minutes (this will depend on how big/hot your fire is...)
FiresideCamping likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2017, 01:14 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Excellent write-up. Valuable tips for summer camping.
Mayo, Taco, Soya, dried soups are nutritious options. The food you plan depends also on the length of your trip. Do consider what foods and beverages you will carry, how you will eat and drink, the tools you may use to eat them.
If you have a cold source do consider sandwiches.
I often struggle to pack lunch for kids summer camp. What every parent wants is an assurance that their kids will not waste them. I have noticed that the more they are involved in packing their lunch, the more likely they will eat the lunch. Every time they go for some kids summer camp markham, I ensure they have protein-rich, nutritious lunch. I do consider fruit smoothies, whole grain crackers, and string cheese.
Consider lightweight, nutrient-dense nuts, seeds, nut based bars, nut butter packs, energy bars, chews or gels, tuna salad pouches, tortillas, poultry, salmon or meat jerky
Above all, ensure that you keep yourself hydrated with minimum 4 glasses of water.
basicallycooking likes this.