Tamago kake gohan or "egg sauce over rice" - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

Tamago kake gohan or "egg sauce over rice"

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Tamago kake gohan or "egg sauce over rice"

This is a typical Japanese breakfast dish I like to have..and also when Camping..

1. Put a fresh egg into the Kobachi (小鉢, small bowl).

2. Pour a desired amount of soy sauce to taste into the Kobachi (or any similar bowl).

3. Mix the egg and soy sauce together, if the soy sauce makes the mixture somewhat black it is no problem.

4. Dig a hollow in the center of the cooked rice in the Chawan (茶碗, a rice bowl) using chopsticks or other utensils of choice.

5. Pour the egg/soy sauce mixture into the hollow.

6. Stir the mixture into the rice. The rice becomes a golden color. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

So the egg is raw? Hmmm, this sounds a lot like fried rice without being fried or heated. Thanks for sharing.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Camper

Forgot to mention.. Rice is boiled, not fried. Do boil in bag rice can be used (uncle bens)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Camping Guru

LOL. I was able to figure that out from the picture, but thanks for confirming. You'll find us Americans like to fry anything. Haven't you heard? We fry Twinkies, pickles, Pepsi, ice cream and some other surprising items too.

But we do understand your dish does NOT get fried, at least, that is not the intention.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Have you tried fried pepsi yet?

Places I have Camped at Civilian/Army
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Camper

I can't eat much fried foods due to my medical condition (crohn's disease) but it is tempting. I also dont eat much red meats. Unless it is Kobe..but that can run expensive $$. Fried Pepsi? You mean the cola?! You can do whatever you want to my recipe..I've seen Americanized versions of japanese traditional cooking and they turn out very well from what I have seen/taste
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Camping Guru

I have tried fried Pepsi. It tastes like batter that has sweet cola in it. duh, that was pretty much it. It eems kind of "against some kind of law" to mistreat foods like that.

I've had fried pickles, fried oreos, fried Twinkies and many other unusual fried foods. Fortunately, I am older and wiser now and don't eat as much crap as I was willing to when I was younger.

If I can get paste the raw egg, I might try Tomoko's recipe.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Camper

"fresh" egg..has to be cold..the boiling rice would cook it..as right after you boil the rice you then pour it on top of the egg..of course...you can also have it cooked..you dont have to do it my way..infact..cooking shows more evidence of a higher protein count as opposed to uncooked.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Camping Guru

That might work that if the rice is dumped onto the egg immediately after it's done the egg is slow cooked (at and below 212 degrees) enough to enjoy.

This might not be such a bad camp breakfast. Just egg, soy sauce and rice to start, but then there's plenty of other items that can be added for different flavors liked chopped veggies or even meats. With some modification the simple preparation could make this even suitable for a backpacking meal, except that storing eggs could be a problem. That's when you used dehydrated eggs and other ingredients. Just a pot for boiling the water for rice and voila. I always carry my titanium pot and matching lid that doubles as a small skillet. Then I store the rest of my mess kit and other items to use space efficiently.

The big gain of this one is the egg protein, the rice for substance and the salty soy sauce for hydration to start with. Backpacking is NOT the time to stick to diet foods. Before I backpack I eat at restaurants to grab a few extra packets of salt, pepper, mustard, honey, mayo, relish, sugar, etc. and now I'll add soy sauce.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL

Last edited by artmart; 08-03-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

how about using salmon eggs or other fish eggs that would make the rice really good. To bad for me Im allergic to Fish and Beans So Im limited to what I can bring when I camp. But as a chef I love cooking with these items.

Places I have Camped at Civilian/Army
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Camping Guru

Hmmm, with all due respect, I don't need the caviar on my meal. I'll stick with the chicken egg only.

However, some smoked salmon might be good on this dish.

Being allergic to fish and beans can sure stop some other pretty good ingredients as well.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL