Survival Foods. - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

Survival Foods.

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Survival Foods.

I eat good all week long so when I go tent camping here in the desert it's a good time for myself to shed a few pounds and weight is a consideration as I may backpack to another destination. I've tried a lot of the survival foods that are available and generally found them to be costly and really not that tasty, so I have developed my own survival foods exclusively for my purposes.

I always pack the 4 oz cans (not always available in stores) of spam which I can eat out of the can or fry it. I package Oatmeat into plastic bags with each bag containing enough for one breakfast. I like beef flavor Rice-Roni and turkey flavor Stove Top. I'll split the package into two seperate bages for my dinner. Pancake mix (add water) is placed into plastic bags, enough for 2 or 3 pancakes for breakfast. I take along salt, molasses and the butter I use is in a small squeeze type container. In 100 degree temperature, it's already melted! I also include powdered milk. There's a lot of other things you can get from the grocery store that can be repackaged for your own choice of foods.
Lipton packaged soups are also very good in flavor.

Hunting in the desert for desert mullies, big horn sheep, white-tail and coues deer, prong horn, etc is seasonal and requires a special permit for some of these game animals. However, the good news is that there are plenty of rattle snakes and lizards and even a few geckos! Scratch the geckos, we'll have PETA knocking on our door in no time! Rattlers have a real gamey flavor, but are a soft chew (hope that makes sense). They go well with beans or a stew. Remember... if your really hungry and your life is on the line to have some nournishment to sustain you, you'll eat the rattler!

Warning... the Mojave desert rattler is one of the most venomous snakes in North America and when you cut his head off, it dosen't necessarily mean he still can't take a bite out of you!

Rattlesnake head attacks:

Last edited by woodster; 06-18-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

I was going to mention that about a year ago I stocked up on some grocery items that I placed in a sealed container in my shop. They were items like vienna sausage, chile and beans, etc. These items all came in an aluminum can with a flip top lid for easy excess. I also stored some pudding's and assorted fruits that came in a plastic container with a peel-off type of lid. After about a year. I took the container out and checked the cans and plastic food containers I had stored. Each item stored in this container had either poped open or the plastic seal had come loose. I can understand how the plastic containers would react to this time frame, but was suprised that the cans would pop open.
I had gotten these food items for just general camping, not survival. Now I make sure what items I may purchase for general camping is in the old tin can and requires a can opener to open it. I know my shop can get hot during the summer months but seldom does it get past 90 degrees inside.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

You have some really great suggestions, minus the rattlesnake... Thanks for this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I think smores makes this easy for every meal. Just 3 ingredients and you don't even have to heat the marshmallows. Oh and maybe some water, too.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 06-20-2011 at 01:31 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Early Survival Foods

I'm second generation Dame and grew up in a scandavian area with Danes and Norwegians, So I had the good fortune or misfortune of eating a lot of Norwegian Lutefisk. Lutefisk was a poor man's food and was conceived because of a European food famine, and the same is true for the introduction of Hungarian Goulash.
I was never that fond of Lutefisk, probably because I'm not a big fish eater. Besides... Lutefisk always tasted... well... kinda fishie to me!

(Off topic, but something that just came to my mind when discussing a little Scandavian history) My Grandmother once told me that when she came to America on a 80 person tramp steamer with a crew of 12 and only one bathroom and they approached the New York Harbor, she saw for the first time the Statue of Liberty. She told me she fell to her knee's and wept out of thankfulness and gratitude of finally reaching her new home.

From The Lutefisk Hall of Fame:
Here's The Lutefisk National Athem?
Lutefisk Hall of Fame: Lutefisk Jokes

Last edited by woodster; 06-20-2011 at 09:39 PM..
Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Camping Guru

Most Scandinavians I know especially Norwegians can't stand lutefisk. They call it food from the old country that can stay in the old country.

I think your Grandma was grateful she didn't have to eat Lutefisk any more. Now she can have good stuff like tacos or eggrolls.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

My mother in law is scandanavian (her parents were "full blood"). She cooks lutefisk once a year at Christmas for the family, and believe me there is always leftovers. I think some, if not most, just eat it because they feel like they should.

Ford Mainline
Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
My mother in law is scandanavian (her parents were "full blood"). She cooks lutefisk once a year at Christmas for the family, and believe me there is always leftovers. I think some, if not most, just eat it because they feel like they should.

Thanks for your response 'ctfortner.' I've been patiently perched in the wings here waiting for a Norwegian to respond to this topic .

Your absolutely correct, Lutefisk is usually prepared and eaten out of tradition. In growing up with Norwegian kids my age, the lutefish stopped when the Drive-in's came to town with hamburgers and hotdogs.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Food To Take on a Camping Trip

Premade meals, Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, Cereals, Fruit, Nuts, Sunflower Seeds, Breads, soups, Lentils, pasta, dried vegetables, honey, sugar and Flavoring agents like soy sauce, hot sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, dried onion, cilantro, cinnamon etc.

Let me know, if I have missed anything important in this list.

Thanks

Last edited by jason; 11-14-2011 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: wrong format
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

beer,you all forgot beer,wheat beer fills you up,and makes you feel happy.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

amen Hideout I didnt even know food was required barley hops grains and alcohol and not just for breakfast anymore
Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

i forgot water,and a trusty firearm,you can live fore days without food,but not water,and if there is a creature living in the area you are in,you can cleanly kill it with the gun,and now you have food.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Check out some of the camping survival foods from a Pinterest - Camping Food
Old 04-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Camper

On the subject of survival foods, I'd like to know more about keeping dry beans for a long time. Beans / seeds (lentils, chickpeas, rice) contain a lot of healthy nutriments, and you do not need to cook them to eat. Sprouting is in fact very healthy.
But the question is how to keep it dry for a long time?
For example, is a sealed bag (myllar bag with a small bag on oxygen absorbant inside) a good idea ?
Any thought, comment, experience ?
Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Camper

These are some really good suggestions. I will definitely need to try some of these!