Survival Foods. - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

Survival Foods.

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Camper

Beverages. Filtered water will be the most critical sustenance to add to your crisis wash room.

Meats. Meat is the hardest thing on your crisis list since it should be prepared to-eat.

Fish.

Dairy.

Grains, Nuts, and Vegetables.

Foods grown from the ground.

Oils.

Sugars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default survival foods

Beans
Rolled oats
Pasta and Noodles
Dried Fruit
Cheese
White rice
Carrot
Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 AM
Camper

Looks like someone knows how to have a blast of a time in the wilderness. Man, just where have you not been. I thought I travelled a lot, sure as heck have never been camping or travelling in a desert. About the weight, I needed to lose some too. Obviously, hiking and camping is good for you and if you eat properly. I mean sometimes you can give yourself something unusually tasty. I treated myself with a santa fe chicken packet. Well, packets actually. So many more splendid food ideas at https://under-the-open-sky.com/five-...oor-adventure/ it scares me. So much that I haven't tried yet. The funny part is that when I get really excited about a trip that I am planning I am not so sure what I am happy about the food that I will eat or the trip itself. The wife is always happy to cook me whatever I ask too. Anyhow, I guess I got inspired by you and I might plan to travel to a desert. Sre as heck will lose a ton of pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 01:32 AM
Camper

There's a youtube channel called MRESteve1989- he tastes test MRES and rations, including opening and eating stuff that's 75 years old.

What I've learned from watching his fun stuff is:

1. Storage conditions matter as much as the food type- leave stuff in your garage and let it thermally cycle between summer and winter is a way of wrecking even freeze-dried foods rapidly. A cool, dry, dark environment without moving all the time is best

2. Peanut butter and honey lasts forever. Literally.

3. Anything with milk powder or solids will not last as long as other components

4. Anything acidic (fruit) or salty will eventually eat through steel cans.

5. The oils in nuts will go rancid faster than baked goods- so a good cake might have lasted 30 years in a can is inedible as a result.

6. Military rations have lots of varied components, often in different states of preservation and packaging- the whole otherwise-edible ration can be wrecked by one can of peaches bursting.

7. Stuff we might ordinarily right off as likely to kill us (Say- 1965 Canned Ham from an MCI ration pack) can end up being edible if a little unpalatable.