CamperCommunity Forums

CamperCommunity Forums (https://www.campercommunity.com/forum/)
-   Camping Recipes (https://www.campercommunity.com/forum/camping-recipes/)
-   -   beef jerky (https://www.campercommunity.com/forum/camping-recipes/1931-beef-jerky.html)

JoeS 06-01-2011 02:14 PM

beef jerky

if your like me I like to make my own trail mix and buying beef jerky can be expensive. I like to make my own with a dehydrator.

I like to use either skirt steak or a flank steak and pound it out to 1/4-1/8" thick

for the marinade:
brown sugar
Worcester sauce
soy sauce
black pepper
cayenne pepper
dash of water
onions
garlic
and other spices to add heat as you like.

artmart 06-01-2011 02:43 PM

Hmmmm. I guess one of these days I'll have to go out and buy a dehydrater. Until then, I dream.

JoeS 06-01-2011 02:51 PM

I think my wife got one at wally world for under 40bucks but I could be wrong.

bobrussell 06-01-2011 07:43 PM

add some honey and a beer to the mix, honey for sweet and beer for flavor (maybe helps tenderize). i like mine cooked on a smoker, but its all good....

JoeS 06-02-2011 11:04 AM

If I could get my hands on a smoker I'd be dangerous.

JoeS 07-20-2011 10:15 AM

top and bottom round are the easiest to work with. Cut the pieces up to 3"x3" and get the mallet out and begin to pound. Pound the meat to around 1/4" thick and gtg. As far as the other meats do the same but when your done cut the fat off and the marbling will make the meat taste better.

abmac 11-07-2011 09:12 AM

I have some more great ideas for jerky on my blog you could try out. I love variety so the more recipes the merrier. It is a great way to have for meals or for snacks and is easy to carry.

artmart 11-07-2011 10:43 AM

Hmmmm, I know a smoker cooks the meat, but does a dehydrator cook the meat too? I am interested in a dehydrator for fruits and veges, cuz I'm just not sure about meats.

What do you all think?

bobrussell 11-07-2011 08:59 PM

hey art, several buddies of mine use a dehydrator for jerky (deer), it seems to end up fairly tuff, i like it more tender. mine ends up more slow-cooked (not tuff at all) on the smoker. i actually keep mine in the freezer after it's smoked because i'm not sure it will last like true jerky.

i'm not sure about vegetables on the smoker, other than smoking some jalapanos stuffed with cream cheese, i like my vegetables slow-cooked in a pot with a piece of fat-back:icon_smile_bbq:.

i would say grilled zucchini is good (i have cooked that before) but i don't think i can spell zucchinin:smack-head:.

watsonwillam 12-26-2018 01:16 AM

Whisk Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, paprika, nectar, dark pepper, red pepper pieces, garlic powder, and onion powder together in a bowl.

Preheat stove to 175 degrees F (80 degrees C).

Exchange meat to paper towels to dry.

Prepare hamburger in the preheated broiler until dry and weathered, 3 to 4 hours.

bruce5 04-26-2019 08:41 AM

beef jerky and trail

trail mix Recipe
1 cup raw almonds
3/4 cup raw cashews
5 raw brazil nuts
2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
2/3 cup air popped popcorn
2 tablespooons unsweetened dried cranberries chopped
beef jerky Recipe
add beef sliced to the mixture in a ziplock and marinate for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator