Coffee Ideas - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

Coffee Ideas

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MacGyver
  • 2 Post By crawford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Camper

Default Coffee Ideas

Looking for recs on best way to make coffee for a large group. We tent camp and almost always, have electric hook up. So I could just bring a coffee maker.

However, looking for a method for the open flame. Cowboy coffee? (Worried about the grinds making their way into the cup). Percolator? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 03:15 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Before I launch into this, I'll make it clear that I'm somewhat of a coffee snob and have a very strong opinion on the subject.

A percolator is definitely about the easiest way to make coffee out in the woods. But the result is over processed beans at best, but more likely a brew that tastes burnt and bitter.

My recommendation? Learn how to use a French press. There is a learning curve to using one, but once mastered, it'll give you the smoothest cup of joe you've ever tasted. A press is also best used with beans freshly ground to a certain coarseness (a part of the aforementioned learning curve).There are countless sites online that show you how to use one. It's the only brewing process that leaves in the essential oils that drip makers and percolators don't.

If that sounds like too much to deal with, my second suggestion would be to use a pour over method. There are plenty of companies that sell collapsible drip makers that use standard drip filters. Drip maker goes over a mug/pitcher/receptacle of just about any kind, filter and ground coffee like in your home coffee maker and pour boiling water over the grounds and, voila - coffee!
Ekm2243 likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

while in Viet Nam or coffee was made on a fire with a 20 gal pot boiling add 1 gal off coffee after five minutes add a quart of cold water to sink grinds to bottom and yum LOL yes that's the way it was done back when.
MacGyver and Ekm2243 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 07:19 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Having visited various countries, including the US, the best coffee I've ever tasted is French. I can have refill after refill. No other country comes close to their coffee