Why motorhome is more fun than a tent... - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Why motorhome is more fun than a tent...

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Hi Everyone,

Gee, I'm getting alot of spam email that say it coming from this web site, how do I file a complaint to management? I have new HP computer that I had to sink money into because of virus. I would hate to not be able to come to this web site and talk to real RV's, and get the skinny on all the goodies that RVing has to offer me and my hubby.

Sincerely
Silky1 ;-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I think the moderator/administrator is gonna have to turn off the automatic acceptance of new members to review their applications then try and determine if they are spammers or not. Good luck with this one.

For those of us concerned about getting emails from these spammers who are only gonna get banned from this forum anyway, you might consider turning off the auto email notification from your User Control Panel. I am not too worried about it because I have enough experience to tell, but others' may not recognize these emails so quick. Be careful out there.

Silky1 - by default this is enabled but you can turn it off. There are other ways to find the new posts - just ask and we'll tell you if you are not sure.

Here's how to turn it off... Click on the "User CP option" at the top of the forum window. Then click on "Edit Options" on the left side. In the "Message & Notification" box, look for "Default Thread Subscription" and select the drop down option you want (probably "no email subscriptions").

As far as your HP computer with the Virus checker, this is not a concern for these messages, because the email is coming from the campcommunity website so it's NOT spam. It is also not a virus unless you open the email and click on an attachment that you don't trust. If you don't know for sure ask in this forum and someone will surely help. Your computer will be safe here. The admins stay pretty much on top of this crap but it can take a few hours to be handled. When in doubt, ask and when you are sure, ask anyway so you know for sure. heh-heh...

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 01-12-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

All new registrations will come through me and wont be able to post until I approve them. This WILL stop. If you receive an email you are unsure about, post here or contact support (very bottom of the page) and we will nip it in the bud.

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
All new registrations will come through me and wont be able to post until I approve them. This WILL stop. If you receive an email you are unsure about, post here or contact support (very bottom of the page) and we will nip it in the bud.

You are awesome, glad to see the site has active admin\moderators.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Camping Fanatic

Absolutely! There are still some spammers showing up, but they actually registered days ago and are just now posting. I am here everyday and will keep it cleaned up. Thanks for reporting what you see.

Ford Mainline
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Camping Guru

Thanks for doing this ctfortner. It sure seems lately you and happiestcamper have been very busy!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Camping Fanatic

Got to keep it under control. I think it will slow down a LOT now. When you register you have to answer questions that I typed in, like math questions . It will take a real person to get signed up, if there is a BOT that smart, I want one

Ford Mainline
Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
_

Quote:
Got to keep it under control. I think it will slow down a LOT now. When you register you have to answer questions that I typed in, like math questions . It will take a real person to get signed up, if there is a BOT that smart, I want one
And you're assuming that YOU got the math correct?

And no, I haven't left yet - I had to get the Ford dealer to straighten out the wiring on the truck (first time I've hooked it up). Next time I buy a new one I will hook it up immediately just to make sure that works.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Camping Fanatic

Thats the point! I doubt my math is correct, thus no spammers can join because they wont get the answer right

Ford Mainline
Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

To the staff and friends,

Thank you so very much for nipping this in the bud, because I really appreciate coming to this website and talking with knowledgable people whom been RV a lot longer than me and hubby.

With Kindest Regards,
Silky1
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Yeah if there is a bot out there that uses logic in its form filling process then I'd love to get my hands on the code and have some real fun!

Quote:
Thats the point! I doubt my math is correct, thus no spammers can join because they wont get the answer right
Wait.... if a bot can't do the math and 2+5-6 = -1 then how is anyone going to be able to join?

Just yanking your chain of course, nice work I hate those darn captyuhs.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Camping Guru

smokey... you failed. you must be a bot..... 2+5-6 = 1 (not -1) or is that the joke...

also, what's a captyuhs? Did you mean captyuns? Something else?

Man, you make me think TOO much!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Camping Fanatic

Art, captchas are the little annoying boxes that display and you have to type in the numbers and letters.

These were working pretty good but I think they have figured out how to get around them somewhow

Ford Mainline
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
smokey... you failed. you must be a bot..... 2+5-6 = 1 (not -1) or is that the joke...(that was the joke haha...)

also, what's a captyuhs? Did you mean captyuns? Something else?(no that's what I meant I just didn't know how to spell it )

Man, you make me think TOO much!
I know I do....

Quote:
Art, captchas are the little annoying boxes that display and you have to type in the numbers and letters.

These were working pretty good but I think they have figured out how to get around them somewhow
I've never heard of a bot that could circumvent a captcha....... that's new to me!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Camping Guru

wow.... learn sumpin' noo ever day....

I thought they were called security dialog boxes, but captcha is easier...

I think we all agree that a bot that can process a captcha doesn't exist, which is why we all want one when it does.... kinda like striped paint in a can. When someone can invent that, well you get the message.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL