Do I really need to buy a Yeti cooler? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Do I really need to buy a Yeti cooler?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MacGyver
  • 1 Post By Jonesycampgirl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2018, 11:23 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Do I really need to buy a Yeti cooler?

I would really like to change the question. Which coolers come close to a Yeti in performance but not in price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

If my life depended on keeping ice for more than a couple of days, I would probably consider buying some brand of so-called "peformance cooler". But as it is, I can't justify putting out that much money for any of 'em. First of all, I don't camp when it's so hot that I'm sweating just by sitting, so right there I've eliminated some of the need for the extra insulation. I use Igloo marine coolers. All white - nothing dark to absorb sunlight. I freeze quart and half gallon milk cartons to make block ice instead of cubes so it lasts longer. Then, on top of that, I keep the cooler in the shade with a reflective space tarp over it. That usually gets me through a three day weekend. But, having said all that, and if you're really bent on going high tech, my choices would be Ozark Trail (Walmart) and Lifetime.
ian1357 likes this.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

MacGyver you mentioned shade which makes sense. However i have just had a brain wave. What about making a jacket for the cooler out of reflectix https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-5...5-ft-L/3011904
Use card stock to give it a bit of strength. Me thinks that will work. What do you think?

P.S. Most of our camping will be done in Florida. We are going to plan a road trip to California in the next 12 months. Oh and the Smokey mountains in the very near future.

Last edited by ian1357; 08-24-2018 at 08:49 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

I've seen plenty of people online mention using Reflectix, but you're the first I've seen mention stiffening it with card stock. I've thought about making a jacket from time to time but for some reason I never get around to it. I already own a couple of space blankets and they seem to work well enough, so that's what I use. But, if you're anything like me and like to put things together to see how it goes, I say go for the Reflectix.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:48 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Hmmm, interesting. In fact, so interesting that I'm finding myself exploring reflective tarps and reflecting (corny pun intended), on the many immediate and possible future uses of them. Thanks guys, Lol, seriously, found a 10' x 8' at Walmart, fairly reasonably priced and hope to pick up one or two if they're in stock.
ian1357 likes this.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Camper

Default Hmm

Just saw this somewhere and thought this might help to answer your question. The Engel High-Performance cooler is just as good as a Yeti, if not better, in many ways. To begin with, it is a bear resistant-container just like the Yeti, which makes it as close to indestructible as possible. Similar to the Yeti, the Engle cooler offers UV resistance for long lasting color and appearance. The Engle’s marine grade latches are comparable to the Yeti’s T-Rex lid latches, which holds the lid securely in place for an air-tight fit.

Chris | cement contractors
Old 04-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

We had a cheap Coleman cooler when we first started camping that didn’t work very well. It barely kept ice for 2 days.
I lined our cooler with Reflectix. Instead of lining the lid I made a the back taller to make an inside lid. The ice lasted a lot longer with this. We also keep a couple of small quilted pads over the cooler. It doubled our ice retention.

Last year we bought a couple of Engle coolers and we love them. They really are worth the money.
My daughter and her husband quit their jobs and moved to North Carolina while he interviewed for his dream job. They decided to live in their tent for a couple of months. To save money. They purchased an Engle and it performed really well for them also. One thing they did was made a Reflectix cover to hide the expensive cooler.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

I've heard good things about RTIC coolers which are direct competitors to YETI. Also tend to be a bit cheaper.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

My opinion is Yeti, Pelican type coolers are better and last a very long time. I use my all the time for trips to the gulf and back. They just plain hold ice and food longer and don’t break as often. But you have to prep them before using.... bring them in and get them cool with ice before using.

Try a lifetime from Walmart. I bought a 77 qt because I need more space for fish and I was surprised how well it does.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Camper

interesting thread, I had the same question

Last edited by adalah; 07-23-2019 at 12:45 PM..