Kodiak Canvas - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Kodiak Canvas

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1357 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. Really do appreciate your advice. I have not mentioned this, but the REI Kingdom 8 tent, I nearly pulled the trigger when I was in the store about 6 days ago.
So the million dollar question. Which would be your choice? Just interested in your answer that is all.
The Coleman tents, IMO, are for the occasional camper. Eureka, a step above Coleman. I think the REI tents, except for some of their more radical designs, are better made and longer lasting. Of the ones I posted, I'd go with the Kingdom 8 or the Copper Canyon 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Just a quick update. After much deliberating and agonizing over which tent to buy. I just pulled the trigger on the Kodiak Canvas Flexbar 10 x 10. with vestibule.
My wife finally agreed, she doesn't know yet BTW ;-)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1357 View Post
Just a quick update. After much deliberating and agonizing over which tent to buy. I just pulled the trigger on the Kodiak Canvas Flexbar 10 x 10. with vestibule.
My wife finally agreed, she doesn't know yet BTW ;-)
It's definitely a good tent, but I think you'll find yourself cramped with twin air mattresses , a table and two chairs. That is unless you're planning on keeping the chairs in the vestibule.

Keeping your medical conditions in mind and even if you don't go with my recommendation to use Spax bolts to peg the tent down, do yourself a favor and get a second set of shorter pegs. The pegs that come with them might be necessary in soft ground, but if you run into hard or rocky ground, you'll find yourself pounding away for a lot longer than you might expect. When I first got my Kodiak, it took at least three or four times longer to hammer in all the pegs than it did to finish setting it up. It was a workout I don't miss!
ian1357 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 09:55 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Hi the table and chairs will live in the vestibule. I am going to home depot tomorrow to get the spax bolts. When you first told me of the long bolts I loved the idea from the start.
PS did you use stainless or galvanized spax and what size washers did you use?

Last edited by ian1357; 08-20-2018 at 10:07 PM..
Old 08-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Addicted Camper

With the furniture outside, you'll be fine. I think you'll be pleased with the purchase - once the wife stops yelling. She'll probably stop once you're setup and loving life in the woods.

Unfortunately, the Spax don't come in stainless. Figuring they're no different than any other zinc coated tent peg, I just went with the plain bolts. It's not like they're a part of a permanent structure so, if need be, I'll just buy new ones if and when they rust out. Been using 'em for a few years now with no sign of degradation. The washers I got here.

From what I've read, the Kodiaks Flexbows are now being made with wire peg loops which weren't on the model I got. If that's the case but it's still similar to how mine works, you might have a problem with the loop where the side poles go. There should be something that looks like an unthreaded eyebolt that goes up and inside the pole. If you use a bolt and washer to peg it down, you probably won't be able to swing the eyebolt looking thing up and into the pole. I solved that problem by simply not pegging those loops down. The tension of the side poles will keep them in place. If that doesn't make sense yet, it should when you go to set it up.
ian1357 likes this.

Last edited by MacGyver; 08-20-2018 at 10:52 PM..
Old 08-23-2018, 02:16 PM
Camper

I am interested also. subscribed
Old 08-29-2018, 01:30 PM
Camper

Interesting
Old 02-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Kodiak 6133

I have owned a Kodiak 6133 for about 8 years. You are right it is a heavy tent, main tent comes in two bags, one for the poles and one for the tent itself. They are both rather heavy, I wouldn't want to carry them far but I am able to move in out of truck etc, I am 64 and in good health, That being said I do like the tent. I got it with the full enclosure which makes a nice place to sit out of the rain and just all around extra space. We also have a travel trailer but still like taking the tent out.
MacGyver likes this.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Addicted Camper

I can pretty much guarantee I'll still be taking my Kodiaks out, even after I get the trailer I've been looking for. (When that'll be, who knows?) I love camping in the snow, but pulling any kind of trailer in slick conditions is best avoided - I learned that from my popup years.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Camper

an interesting question. I too was looking for it