Camp Kitchen - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Camp Kitchen

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Camp Kitchen

I have Rubbermaid bins (2), that I loved using when I had a pop up camper. For car and tent camping, I can't pack those up so easily into my car with other tent camping gear needed. I thought about condensing and leaving some stuff I might not need behind, but then I'd probably would regret it. Anyway, prior to the bins I have, I used a large duffle, with lots of pockets to separate and organize stuff. I re packed it and hoping it works as well as I'm thinking it should. It definitely should pack up better in my car, I'm thinking. I'm still torn though, two bins will take up more room than the one large duffle bag.

Does anyone else use duffle bags or even a suitcase? Or do you all prefer totes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Must admit, when tent camping, we used totes, in fact, have always used totes, except when flying, then I use suitcases. They can squash down whereas suitcases are rigid
Mizanrahman likes this.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Camper

We consolidated some stuff into a plastic 3 drawer unit (Steralyte), Most of it is kitchen stuff, but also bug spray, flashlights, rope, etc. Works great, goes right on the picnic table! Can also face it outwards at one of the doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I like the drawer idea! One of the things I like about my Rubermade tote is that it has the door on the side, it also worked nice on the table top. I used to have a shelf in it, the kind you use in kitchen cabinets. I took it out to use elsewhere, but really should get another. But either way, in my Juke, it might be too cramped to hold something so large and boxy, in addition to the ice chest. If I had a camper, I'd be using that tote for sure, and would totally consider those drawers you're talking about, sounds like a great organizer!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Camper

We have a Subaru Forester, which fortunately fits everything for us. I don't think I could fit all of our stuff in a Juke... Good for you to find a way! (when I went car shopping, I specifically made sure we had enough cargo room for all of our camp stuff! Had been driving a 2006 Tuscon)
Old 07-26-2018, 10:10 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

How about these. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keywords-3-...thes%20storage

Its on Amazon. Although its in pound sterling (), you will probably also see it on Amazon in $. Good idea for space saving
Old 07-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Popup

They cost an arm and a leg, but I'm sold on Pelican Storm cases for camping. They're super durable and waterproof and they come in enough sizes that you can find a size that just fits your needs. All the kitchen stuff in one, all the tools in another, etc. I keep looking for deals on eBay and other sites so I'll eventually have all the medium to large sizes. That way, whatever the trip dictates that I need, I'll have a box to fit my stuff.

As far as not having room in a car, I'm pretty sure all but the smallest cars can get a trailer hitch put on - and a hitch mounted rack can do wonders for hauling extra gear.
RVCamper likes this.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:57 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

My father used a home made chuck box, it was nice, but very big, bulky, and heavy. Totes can be the same, depending on the size. I'm thinking for this trip, I'm going to try using the large duffle. Hoping to have some cover over the picnic table, either a screen house or canopy.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 PM
Addicted Camper

Chuck boxes are great - until changes in gear don't work with what you have. After building a few (years ago), I went with totes of different sizes. The Pelican Storm cases are just the latest evolution for me. Makes me wonder what's next...
RVCamper likes this.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:12 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Chuck boxes are great - until changes in gear don't work with what you have. After building a few (years ago), I went with totes of different sizes. The Pelican Storm cases are just the latest evolution for me. Makes me wonder what's next...

That's true. In my father's case though, he built it after he established his/our camping needs. He pretty much had the same setup, and basically by then was camping at the few favorite parks: Assateague SP, Shads Landing SP, and Codorus SP. It was all pretty routine. I on the other hand can't decide between tote and duffle, lol. I'm going to take this up coming trip, first in tent in many years to use as sounding board. Actually, if I can get a little camper, I would most likely stick with tote, but car/tent camping is a different animal.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Well, I changed my mind and switched back to the tote. I'll be using the large duffle for my bedding instead. So I packed my camp box to use set up on the table during camping. This will be left outside. Now to work on getting up the pic, if I can.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

This is it! I have a Coleman stove bag that holds my stove, griddle, and propane tanks. I also made up a smaller coffee tote, holds coffee pot, and all coffee essentials. My picnic tote will carry all else, including dry foods. And then of course the ice chest.
Attached Thumbnails
Camp Kitchen-img_20180812_170509505_1534118258818.jpg  

MacGyver likes this.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesycampgirl View Post
This is it! I have a Coleman stove bag that holds my stove, griddle, and propane tanks. I also made up a smaller coffee tote, holds coffee pot, and all coffee essentials. My picnic tote will carry all else, including dry foods. And then of course the ice chest.
That's not too different than how I do it with my Pelican cases. Little stuff like utensils, foil, detergent, etc. in a Plano organizer, the rest in whatever size case I need for the trip I'm going on. On solo trips I'm not much on cooking... well... no matter what kind of trip I'm on, I'm not much on cooking, so most of my food is dehydrated. Takes up very little space. On group trips I'm blessed to have some real outdoor gourmets doing all the cooking.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
That's not too different than how I do it with my Pelican cases. Little stuff like utensils, foil, detergent, etc. in a Plano organizer, the rest in whatever size case I need for the trip I'm going on. On solo trips I'm not much on cooking... well... no matter what kind of trip I'm on, I'm not much on cooking, so most of my food is dehydrated. Takes up very little space. On group trips I'm blessed to have some real outdoor gourmets doing all the cooking.
Lol, I'm not much of a cook myself, camping or not. Keep it simple mostly, and I just operated my camp stove for the first time Spring a year ago, when I went cabin camping (for the first time). Before that my ex used it.

Your Pelican cases look very organized and uniform, which is nice. I guess it's a pretty handy system. One day, I hope to adopt a system that works for me, it just takes time, experience, and experimentation. But my biggest problems are 1. My situations seem to be constantly changing, making me having to adapt. And 2. I have an issue with always feeling like there's a better way to do stuff, and always look for that better way
Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm19699 View Post
We have a Subaru Forester, which fortunately fits everything for us. I don't think I could fit all of our stuff in a Juke... Good for you to find a way! (when I went car shopping, I specifically made sure we had enough cargo room for all of our camp stuff! Had been driving a 2006 Tuscon)
I did that when I shopped for my previous car, I wanted cargo space and ability to tow our pop up. This last time, I considered the rogue, I did like the space, but wasn't enjoying the ride. I rationalized that since being a single, older female, I probably wouldn't be going camping anymore. I just ended up missing it too much, so researched tents. My son and granddaughters are camping with me on this upcoming trip.

I do wish I could get the little camper I'm looking at, but it will have to wait. But after assessing my gear, I'm thinking my Juke can handle it. I'll have to get a pic of it when loaded up, and post it.