Camp Kitchen - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Camp Kitchen

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 09:36 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesycampgirl View Post
My situations seem to be constantly changing, making me having to adapt. And 2. I have an issue with always feeling like there's a better way to do stuff, and always look for that better way
That's exactly why I wound up buying all the different size Pelicans. Getting it all down to where it's organized and still portable took years of juggling equipment around and figuring what can go where. Maybe unbelievably, the biggest problems I had started when I began downsizing to backpacking gear. Not cooking so much? I don't need a two burner stove when a single will do. Going 12 volt for lighting meant no carrying gas or bulky propane cans and big lanterns. But, because I like my comfort, I still wound up bringing more things with me. I take more stuff on group trips than I do on solo trips. Obviously, winter trips require more gear than warm weather. Also obviously, the length of a trip also dictates how much and what I take. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying Pelican cases unless you don't mind being in debt (I'm stupid like that), there are alternatives. I've seen people do very well with collapsible totes and milk crates. As far as figuring what to take and what to leave home, try looking at past trips and what never seemed to leave the box or duffel you brought it in. I used to bring way too many kitchen items and too many clothes. A little planning put an end to that and freed up a lot of space.

Last edited by MacGyver; 08-12-2018 at 09:43 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Camper

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
Old 08-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Camper

Indeed, very interesting thread

Last edited by pandes; 08-23-2018 at 01:12 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 01:26 AM
Camper

There are a few things that you can do in your kitchen redesign to enhance its general capacity, for instance, including more cupboards or stretching out your current cupboards to the roof can help give more storage room...

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact
Old 11-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Hi

We use these harder boxes called wolf packs, dunno of you have these in the States they stack very well.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mymaat

Tow_Pietermaritzburg/
Old 11-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

They look very similar to the Pelican Storm cases I use. I'd never heard of them before but they do seem to be available here - just searched "front runner cases" and, sure enough, their site popped up.

(Not sure why, but towing companies sure seem to like to throw their links on this site.)

Last edited by MacGyver; 11-26-2018 at 03:29 PM..
Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

We like camping.

Plus here in South Africa we have really big animals so you need something sturdy that can take a beating when things get dangerous.

We also have 4X4 trailers that are designed with to specifically fit these wolf traps.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:52 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

It just occurred to me that I never mentioned how my camp kitchen worked out. I believe in another thread I posted pics of my juke all packed up. The camp box (bin/tote, as I interchange names, lol) fit fine. Between the two bins, as pictured, I had chosen to pack into the larger black one. The other one was smaller (it's same type, just smaller and blue), and though would have packed nicer in my car, the footprints were the same and the larger one fit everything I wanted to pack in it and then some extra. The kitchen box & stove worked well setup on the picnic table in the screened house (dishpan sat on top of that), while the smaller coffee box (a much smaller bin of a different kind) stored under my coffee station setup inside my tent (can be seen in pics in yet another thread). So, I'm sorry pics are all split up now, but I had reasons for new threads, they were used in appropriate topics.
Anyway, all worked out well, and I'm looking forward to planning a spring and a fall trip at least in 2019. Oh, and yeah, the duffle worked great for carrying my glamp-style bedding, lol.
MacGyver likes this.

Last edited by Jonesycampgirl; 12-09-2018 at 04:55 AM..
Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Gotta love it when a reorganization works like you expected it to.
Jonesycampgirl likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Thank you MacGyver for the pictures, very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
They cost an arm and a leg, but I'm sold on Pelican Storm cases for camping. They're super durable and waterproof and they come in enough sizes that you can find a size that just fits your needs. All the kitchen stuff in one, all the tools in another, etc. I keep looking for deals on eBay and other sites so I'll eventually have all the medium to large sizes. That way, whatever the trip dictates that I need, I'll have a box to fit my stuff.

As far as not having room in a car, I'm pretty sure all but the smallest cars can get a trailer hitch put on - and a hitch mounted rack can do wonders for hauling extra gear.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 PM
Camper

I use a chuck box...Chuck boxes are great

Last edited by adalah; 02-14-2019 at 07:24 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 PM
Camper

I always use totes and I also use suitcase sometime. It definitely depends on you. If you want to hear from me I will say to use totes.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Camper

I don't have any idea about it. So following