How to build a campfire - Page 3 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

How to build a campfire

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
If you have access to saw dust and chips & candle was or parafene wax you can soften the wax and mold it with chips and sawdust to make a great fire starter and is safer than lighter fluid or charcole lighter fluid.
This is similar to what my husband does. He starts with clean used tuna cans and packs them with 1" strips of cardboard in a circular pattern. He pulls the corner of the very inside piece of cardboard up just a little taller than the rest - like a wick - and pours melted parafin wax in filling to the top. We keep a supply of them with our other fire stuff - hatchett, etc. Of course these are for me to use so I can build a fire.

He has taught me the teepee style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I like the Tee-Pee method, too. It always seems to work well.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Ok am on board as i use teepee method too.But i found a good use for that paper you have in your shredder.I put shedder paper in the middle and form wood around it.It starts fast and saves the land fill.I just put it in plastic bags and as i empty a bag i use it for garbage.Killing two birds with one fire.I use the strike anywhere matches to start the fire.We used a starter log cut up once but found it gave off a fuel smell as it burned.Also be carefull on re-lights.We bank the fire at night and leave a small hole in the center of the pit.A small amount of shedded paper and wood and a little wind(Hot air as the wife says) and it is raging again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 PM

My significant other calls me the "fire starter"...without any additional help this is what i do and works everytime for me. I try to make sure that I have paper or pieces of cardboard that I crupple up (has to be cruppled up)and put this down first in the center of the fire pit, then I surround the cruppled up paper with twigs in a tippie fashion, then I put my pieces of wood surrounding the twigs in a tippie fashion as well. After that I light the paper in the center and this usually will ignite everything slowly and you will have a fire in no time. If its really windy, which we just experienced this weekend...I put up pieces of wood along side of the fire pit to make a barrier from the wind, and that worked well. Hope this helps...good luck.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Send a message via Skype™ to The Postman

I do everything that Lildee does, but I cheat a bit. Once I have my crumpled paper and first layer of kindling and bits down, I douse it with liquid fire starter that I got from WalMart. I think it is little more than vegetable oil because it has no odor, but boy it sure gets that fire going. And, if all else fails you can use it on your salad.