How to build a campfire - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

How to build a campfire

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 AM

Building and starting the fire is big ceremony in my camp. It is akin to placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree. Since I am a bit of a survivalist, I pass on rudimentary methods to my boys, and I let one of them build the fire and start it. But even when I am alone, I never use a lighter or flame. We always use a dry grass bed, or a cotton ball, and a swiss striker or combustion blast match or magnesium starter. It keeps the skills honed, and striking a match is just too easy some how. I find the harder I work on something, the more I appreciate it. The teepee method is the most commonly used, as it allows the heavier sticks to collapse in on the fire as they are needed. Kind of like a self feeding fire. What I stress to my kids in the woods, is to only build and burn what you need. I always snicker at people with raging bon fires. I've literally seen people melt their own tents, they've gotten the fire so hot. lol. I like a small to medium sized fire that can be easily manipulated and stirred. I love to stoke the fire. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

Gasoline and lots of it!!!!!!! <--- Not really

I'll either use some strike anywhere matches of my swiss army fire steel. Use a stick about 1/2 the size of my arm and build a ling to with smaller twigs.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Smile Starting a fire.

My Grandpa taught me to make a fire starter by mixing wood ashes and kerosene into a soupy paste. Keep it in a plastic jar with a tight fitting lid. A spoon full of this will burn for several minutes even in wet conditions. It beats any thing else I've used. I keep a jar of it in my camper. I've found that charcoal lighter mixed with cat litter works almost as well. I recently used some that I had mixed two years ago and it worked great. This is also good to use as a fireplace starter. Mix up a coffee can full and it will last all winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

One good method I've found is to save your dryer lint in a coffee can, squirt a little zippo type lighter fluid in when you add fresh lint every week. Before I head to the woods, I throw some in a zip-lock bag, I've used this to start fires with wet wood with great results.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I use a hybrid of the tipi/log cabin methods. For some reason, my sticks like to fall in on each other, and choke the fire right out. That's where the log cabin comes in, tipi to start, log cabin for the 2nd stage, tipi with 3rd stage wood. Works well!

Always use dry woods that haven't been on the ground - poplar works well. Birch.

Another good starter is wood shavings (from a planer or the like) or sawdust, with a little bit of "firestarter" or lighter fluid like Ronsonol or whatever. Keeps in a coffee can for about a year. Burns incredibly hot...but quick. Gets the kindling going well.

Ahh, campfire. With any luck, I'll even have time to use the fire pit in my backyard this year, too.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

If you have pine trees around. Find a old dead one cut it open all the sap will set up in the center or sometimes you can find it laying on the ground. some call it fat lighter.It's the best for starting fires & its free. A little hard to cut but it splits real easy. I split it in small pieces & it lights fast.All you need is 1 or 2 pieces . About 5 years ago I found a log about 10 feet long and 16 inches around .cut it with a chain saw 10 inch logs & split it up give me about 80 or more 1 gal ziplock bags full. just starting to run low. Time to restock !
Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
One good method I've found is to save your dryer lint in a coffee can, squirt a little zippo type lighter fluid in when you add fresh lint every week. Before I head to the woods, I throw some in a zip-lock bag, I've used this to start fires with wet wood with great results.
What an inovative idea thanks, think I will try that myself..

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Camping Guru

I'm going to try that too. I have an endless amout of lint at our house.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Camping Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigua View Post
I'm going to try that too. I have an endless amout of lint at our house.
me too, great way to get rid of it

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Camping Guru

You know what works good too? We have a paper shreader at home that we use to get rid of all kinds of old bills and stuff. We use it at the bottom, build the teepee and light r up
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Camping Guru

Eh that's a good idea too, keeps it out of the land fills too

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Camping Guru

I tell people that I'm getting rid of the evidence.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 AM

I will be on the beach in the evening and want to impress my friends with a campfire where we can sit and relax after dark. There will only be sand and water....no rocks or fire pits.
I am bringing my own wood in. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ctfortner; 01-24-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Old 01-24-2009, 08:27 AM
_
Camper Type: None

First off, be sure you won't get arrested. Here they won't allow a fire on Isle of Palms at all. You can have one on Sullivan's Island if you get a permit ahead of time - guess since they had all those Revolutionary War battles there they figure the beach is used to fire

The beach is probably going to be windy, so that's going to be your biggest obstacle. Dig a hole in the sand, and throw some matchlight charcoal in the bottom. Light it, cover with wood, and you should be good to go.

Be sure to fill in the hole before you leave.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 PM

Default fire starter

If you have access to saw dust and chips & candle was or parafene wax you can soften the wax and mold it with chips and sawdust to make a great fire starter and is safer than lighter fluid or charcole lighter fluid.