First camping trip of the year this weekend! - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

First camping trip of the year this weekend!

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Hate to hear about the weather, but I tend to agree, bad day of camping is better that a great day working. Besides had you been at home all weekend, you would probably have had honey do's to tend to anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Camping Extraordinaire

It was nice we were close to home so that it didn't seem quite so bad to pack up and leave. What is a honey-do list? Or I guess I should say-do those honey do lists really work?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Camping Fanatic

Here is a few pics from the one "non rain" time we had. Not much to look at, but proof we were there at least...

There is no awning out, well for two reasons. One, it was windy as ^$%$. and two, I kinda broke a piece on it, that last trip in 2007, havent fixed that yet.

Beware of dog

Ford Mainline

Last edited by ctfortner; 04-01-2008 at 08:50 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 AM
_
Camper Type: None

Get some awning tie downs - I don't worry about wind anymore.

Also, I bet you have condensation inside that canvas roof - check out the Popup Gizmos (I added the product just now). They fit over those bunk ends, and you can either put the silver side up to reflect heat or the silver side down to retain heat. I got tired of waking up to all the moisture falling over me. Using these and some fans to keep the air circulating, it never rains on me in the morning anymore.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Camping Fanatic

Actually I do have some of the awning deflappers, and they do work good. I couldnt have let the awning out either way, the little square piece that slides up and down when you raise and lower the awning broke on one side. I have to get that fixed, we have some painful sunny summers here, cant live without that awning.

I do get some condensation through the canvas, although it has never gotten on us. Well, unless the little one starts pushing on it, then it happens

During the summer, we have a fan that came with the camper and plugs in right in front of our bed, which we always use to.

I will look at that gizmo, sounds like a good investment. Thanks for the suggestion! When it starts getting hot and muggy, we will sure need it.

Ford Mainline
Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Camping Fanatic

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the best part.

Memphis (Tigers) were playing the night while we were there, and of course I had to watch. They played Michigan St., sorry to all our Michagan'ers here, the Tigers are pretty tough.

Anyway, I should have taken a picture of me sitting out by the campfire with my TV strung 20 feet out there with me watching the basketball game. I brought some extra coax cables so it would reach out there and still use the antenna.

Cold one, campfire, ballgame, does it get any better?

Ford Mainline
Old 04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Camping Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
Cold one, campfire, ballgame, does it get any better?
It just really doesnt get any better....

Now I really want to go camping, thanks for sharing the pics.

Really like that popup gizmo cover, I checked out their website. If I had canvas pop outs or a popup, I believe I would have to try that.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 PM

One down, many to go! I am jealous, cannot wait to cookout and build a campfire!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Cute little guard dog you got there!

You got the rainy trip out of the way now, its smooth sailing from here on
Old 04-08-2008, 06:37 AM
Camping Guru

Sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait to get out there. Most campgrounds around me don't open until May so I still have time to wait and plan. June 13th weekend will be our first trip. I can't wait.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Camper

ctfortner, just found this site and it seems you are close by. We live in Decatur County. We have just started camping this year and love it. So far we have been on two trips. Do you have any good suggestions on places to go that are close by?
Thanks
Danny
Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Camping Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
ctfortner, just found this site and it seems you are close by. We live in Decatur County. We have just started camping this year and love it. So far we have been on two trips. Do you have any good suggestions on places to go that are close by?
Thanks
Danny
Welcome to the site Danny!

Decatur county, if I am not mistaken thats not far from henderson county right? I used to hunt over in henderson county, off Law road (exit 93). henderson is about an hour and 15 from me, so I am probably not too far from you.

Out that way, the places we frequent the most are Natchez Trace State Park, Chicasaw State Park and Beech Lake Campground.

Check out the forum for campground reviews for discussion of these by the way.

Beech lake is in lexington, TN

Natchez and Chicasaw are in Jackson TN area.

Where have yall been so far?

Ford Mainline
Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Camping Fanatic

Default Joy-O-RV Park and Beech Bend Campground

There is also Joy-O-RV Park which is in Denmark TN I believe, outside Jackson. I have not been here yet. I think its a smaller campground, 40 sites or so.

Have you been to Beech Bend Campground in Decaturville? It also looks like a nice place, plan to try it out this year too.

Beech Bend Camp Grounds and Park

Ford Mainline

Last edited by ctfortner; 04-10-2008 at 05:22 PM..
Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Camper

Thanks for getting back to me.
We bought a used 5th wheel in December and have waited for the weather to get nicer to get out.
So far we have camped at the TVA Campground in Pickwick and Natchez Trace. We enjoyed both of these campground very much.
We usually camp with our 3 grandchildren ages 5, 6 and 9. They like to ride bikes and playgrounds so we try and find places they will enjoy.
While we haven't camped at Beech Bend we have been there many times. There always seems to be many people around who are not campers.
We will have to check out Beech Lake in Lexington it sounds nice. We looked at Chickasaw but didn't like the way it was away from everything.
Thanks for all your help and the great forum.