Do you travel with pets? - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Do you travel with pets?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 02:09 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Our Golden Retriever died before Christmas and we will miss him terribly this camping season. He did get to go on a final trip in October (which was our Thanksgiving). He could no longer lay on the floor in the back of the truck with our kids and had to lay in the front seat between my husband and I. Even though he was so arthritic and had to be lifted in and out of the trailer, he still loved it and going for the short walks that he could still muster at that time. I even took our cat one time when he was also on his final legs and could no longer be left at home for the neighbour to check on. We are now "thinking" about getting a new pet(s), but they will probably camp with us as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Just read this forum. We plan to leave tomorrow (Sunday) with our Belgian Tervs. Neither the dogs or us has traveled together except for trips to the vet in our car. They are getting better about traveling. Will they learn to travel in a fifth? I got some medication for them (just in case) for travel sickness and nerves. Storms upset them a lot. Maybe we are just crazy, but I just couldn't leave the 'children' behind again. kkd
Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Default traveling with pets

We're sure you won't have any problems with them once they get used to the traveling. One thing we have found over the years is that they need to feel secure in their footing, etc. Our first goldie was not too sure in the back of the truck and got sick. We put a carpet back there and no problems after that. Good luck with your guys and enjoy the trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 08:04 PM

We also camp with our "second" child , a two year old Jack Russell Terrier . His name is Odin and he is the biggest attention seeker you will ever see . He has to be chained out when we camp or he will be gone like the wind . If anybody walks by our campsite he cries until he get some scratches under the chin . At night , he will chase the sparks from the fire and then just curl up on one of our chairs and fall fast asleep . We wouldn't go camping without him (our 2 year old daughter loves to have her o-nee close to her )
Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 AM

This one is ok as long as you share your tent with him.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 AM

I have a Pug/Jack Russell Terrier mix who has a variety of nervous conditions. Anyone else ever deal with this? We got her when she was 8 weeks old and she will be two in October. She weighed four pounds when we got her and couldn't deal with cold or heat very well so we litter trained her so she wouldn't have to go out in snow or extreme heat. At 25 pounds, she still uses a litter box. She is terrified of other dogs. DH's uncle has a pom and she cowers at the sight of him. She will bark at dogs from a distance but will urinate on herself if they come too close. She also has severe separation anxiety. I spent over $200 on vet bills once when we kenneled her for a few days while going out of town, but she had gotten sick when we took her with us to St. Louis a few months before. Now if we have to go out of town and can't take her or it's too far, we hire a sitter to stay with her at our home so she is more comfortable.

The camper was ideal for us because she gets accustomed to it here before we go and she sees it as part of home. We're relaxed when heading out with the camper and not in a rush so we can stop when needed to let her out and calm down from the ride. She can stay in when it gets too hot for her outside or if other dogs are visiting. (She loves cats, by the way, but they are intimidated by her size.) She also loves to camp. DH told her one night last week that she couldn't go camping with us. She cried until he got out of bed at 11:30 PM and told her she could go.

She is very sensitive and is afraid of her own shadow. She'll give a vicious growl if a stranger knocks...but she'll be hiding behind something when she does it. She's just like a toddler...can't be away from Mom and Dad and still fearful of the world. When my baby went to kindergarten I was lonely after being home with kids for so many years and we got her so I wouldn't feel so alone at home and she has certainly filled that void! I can't imagine doing something without her. We went to Gatlinburg over the Fourth of July and we called the sitter several times a day.