Air Mattresses for camping - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Air Mattresses for camping

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Default Air Mattresses for camping

Do you think its worth the extra money to get an air mattress instead to put the sleeping bag on top of? How well do the air mattresses hold air over the long run? Or do you prefer to stick with a self inflating foam pads, or the rollout of pads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 AM

I have used several different brands of air mattresses for camping, and I find over time they dont hold air like the should. I always have to add more air to them throughout the trip. Also, they dont provide much insulation on a cold ground, since air is not an insulator, so a pad would work better for that as well.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Back when we were tent camping, we didnt use much, other than some blankets or comfortors up under us. I have some air beds and have slept on them a time or 2 and they are ok, but if I was a full time tent camper I think I would look for something other than an airbed. Maybe I just had a cheapy, but it wasnt that great and I had to add air to it also.

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 AM

I think that some things weren't meant to be slept on. One of them is water, and the other is air. Two substances that I am doubtful of. Water beds are horrible and air mattresses are the same. They don't don't up well under your body weight. Air mattresses often deflate or need extra air. I don't think it's a good solution for sleeping and camping.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 PM

I agree, all the air mattresses that I have tried have always deflated. I too, have the same dilema. I am tired of sleeping on the ground, not ready for a camper yet. What to do??
Old 02-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

Has anyone ever tried the mattress up on a frame like this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ress&noImage=0

I am leary because of all the negative reviews.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Camping Guru

Havent ever tried this, but have looked at them in the stores. Looked like a good idea and I think it would work good if you have a good quality air mattress. If not, I could see that being uncomfortable, if the air did not hold welll, you would feel the frame your laying on. But I would think this would work good, with a good bed to go on it
Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Camping Extraordinaire

Okay I am putting in my two cents. I am all for the airbed. I agree you have to pump more air into it every couple of days, but it isn't too bad if you have one of those foot pumps. I don't like to sleep on the ground so to add a little air every couple of days is worth it to me. If you have a blanket on top of the airbed it isn't cold.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Yup, we ALWAYS use air mattresses - last one we bought was the double high. And yes, they do tend to need refilling, but we bought a little thingy that plugs into our car lighter and has an AC/DC plug on the other end - use that to refill the mattress (the mattress comes with an AC/DC plug or you can use an alternate method of pumping it up) and it fills up within just 5 minutes. Also deflates it automatically in the same amount of time and really sucks the air completely out so it's easy to fold up. It is colder to sleep on than a mat or roll, but we just put a sleeping bag on top, cover it with a sheet set that's made for it... just perfect - never had a problem yet!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Addicted Camper

We tent camped for 13 years before buying a camper. Me must of bought 15 air mattress' over the years. Seems after a few trips or one season they would start to leak. I also used those self inflating pads, and think they are more comfortable than an air mattress. Cots are also nice, we've had a few of those.

we also always used one of those to fill the mattress, takes less than a minute to fill a queen size.
Intex Quick-Fill AC/DC Rechargeable Pump from REI.com
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee(8" lift, 37" tires) play rig

Last edited by roadhouse; 03-16-2008 at 09:01 PM..
Old 03-16-2008, 09:54 PM

We also carry that rechargeable pump as well.... comes in handy sometimes.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:06 PM

That's the first air pump I've seen, but it looks like a perfect answer to deflated mattress. It's very small and recharges the battery at the same time. That's just the ticket when you don't want to sleep on the floor. Doing it when you're a child is one thing. But now that I'm older, I'd definitely do not want to sleep on the floor.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 PM

When we tent camped we always used air mattresses under the sleeping bags. It wasn't much but at least you were up off the ground a little so it wasn't so rocky in the back - lol

Later we graduated to cots and sleeping bags.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 PM

When we went camping we used regular sleeping bags on the floor. There were no air mattresses. Having an air mattress would have helped to keep you from getting sore. Even when we were young, it was still sore from sleeping on the floor. The air mattress cushions you from the bottom, and should help.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 AM

You can also get one of the fold up Cots and they work great. If you put a egg shell foam on top of them, they work really nice. I'm not much on air mattress as they don't seem to last very long and there is nothing like waking up sleeping on the hard floor. The cot I'm speaking of don't take up much room when folded up. My sister is able to store it under her jack knife couch in the camper.