Air Mattresses for camping - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Air Mattresses for camping

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 AM

Yep, there are few things ruder, than waking at three in the morning on the cold ground, because your air mattress deflated on you in the middle of the night. Cold and sore. There is a queen sized air mattress with a memory foam pad on top. I always use a footprint under my tent. Very important. And a piece of carpet can roll up easily and take little space. I put that on the inside, between the tent floor and the air mattress. No leaks so far. I use a pad for primitive camping though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

I've been using Coleman air matresses for about 6 years now. No problem with losing air. As others stated an extra sleeping bag or blanket on top will insulate from cold,which is usually not a problem when we camp.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM

Here is my 2 cents. Go with the air mattress even if you have to put a little air in it before going to bed its better than sleeping on the ground. We tent camped for years and even did a 2 week trek through Maine and our air mattresses in tow. We found that an egg crate under the mattress protects its ok. Not saying that we didn't go through several mattresses in our day but my poor back was greatful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 AM

I have a Coleman air mattress with a built in pump. Works on batteries. Yeah, we have to put more air in every other day or so, but I don't wake up stiff or sore. Tent camped this past weekend, it got down to about 25-30 at night, had a sleeping bag and blanket between us and the mattress, and blankets on top, we stayed nice and warm. I have used self-inflating pads, I still woke up stiff, even in the middle of summer. Never going without an air mattress again!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I think there are a lot of good points here - all-in-all, it depends on the type of camping you are doing and if there is hiking included. If there is hiking included then clearly you will not want to haul around the weight of an air mattress and pump and a pad will be the way to go. Otherwise, a solid air mattress is a great way to get a good nights rest!

All the best!
+ Will

Last edited by mailfire99; 05-31-2009 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: removed ad links
Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

for what it's worth (if anything) when I backpack and tent camped my bad back couldn't stand the cold, or hard ground. Being inventive (and cheap) I took an eggcrate pad, fastened an "emergency blanket" (the silver foil) to the flat side with adhesive, sewed a blanket slip-cover to slide over it- the whole thing weighed less than 5 pounds when rolled up. strapped to my backpack or thrown in the car, it was warm and comfortable, and since I got the better part of 10 years of service from it, was well worth the $20 investment.