avoiding the mosquitoes - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

avoiding the mosquitoes

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigua View Post
They are attracted to dark clothing. Lighting, Try to use LED lights. Apparntly they cant see LED light.
This is quite interesting, antigua. I've always been told the opposite: bright clothing makes you more susceptible to mosquito and bug bites. Was told before that the reason behind this is that many of the bright clothing may appear to look pretty much the same way as the flora around, which is why they will tend to go near you. At least that's what I was told before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

I know that BEES will go after people with dark colored clothing, especially brown or black, since they think you are a bear, one of their natural enemies.

This is one of the reasons bee keeper outfits are usually white or yellow.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

I recently heard that you should spray Listerine around the area to repel mosquitoes. The good old fashion kind, not flavored. Haven't tried yet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Just a thought on the LED light thing. LED lights are generally in same light range as the sun. 5000 - 6000K. Probably same reason you don't see many of them in the daytime, unless you're walking through the woods or jungle.
2016 Keystone Sprinter 319MKS
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinjd View Post
This is quite interesting, antigua. I've always been told the opposite: bright clothing makes you more susceptible to mosquito and bug bites. Was told before that the reason behind this is that many of the bright clothing may appear to look pretty much the same way as the flora around, which is why they will tend to go near you. At least that's what I was told before.
That is what I was told too. I try to stay away from yellow. Learn something new every day.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 05-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Using a fan blowing across you and your sitting area will also help reduce dealing with the little suckers. They do not do well trying to fly in the breeze the fan produces.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Camper

There is some camping-equipment-list to help you avoid the mosquito. I like the sleeping bag. You can select the one.

Source: Campingheavens
Old 05-12-2017, 01:41 AM
Camper

Avoid chemical repellents, stick to fan
Old 05-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Camper

Only thing that works for me is spraying myself with Deep Woods Off, which helps when I am moving around plus I use a Thermacell repellent where I sit for any length of time as it makes a 15'x15' mosquito free zone. Going to try spraying Permathrin on my clothes and fabric camp equipment.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Camper

I read something recently that said your blood type may determine how attracted mosquitoes are to you. The most popular type for those little blood suckers is O- which is, of course, my type.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Camper

robin_nguyen likes this.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Camper

we have several ways to avoid mosquitos. But I recommend you several inform with this site GoRoam Outdoors Single Parachute Camping Hammock with Mosquito Net. Please

Last edited by robin_nguyen; 11-09-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Old 11-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

I remember driving up to the highlands of Scotland one summer. Haven't got mosquitoes, but do have midges, which are not as big, but a real nuisance. No matter what we used, it didn't work. So we got into our small boat and rowed out to the middle of Loch Ness. Midges gone. At least we didn't see Nessie, but would have preferred it to the midges
Old 11-11-2019, 05:10 AM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingforfun View Post
While it is true that mosquitoes are an enormous bother when camping, here are a few points to help keep them under control.

1. going in and out of your tent or trailer regular just lets them in - they attach themselves to your clothes and come in on your person

Try to limit opening and closing the tent and trailer doors at night.

2. sleeping near a standing body of water will produce mosquitoes

Do not choose a campsite near swamps or small bodies of water that are or can easily become stagnant.

3. having toys like rubber tires for swings and other items that collect water on your campsite only encourages the reproduction of mosquitoes

Empty all basins, toys, crevices, and anything that can collect water around your campsite. Even if mosquitoes are a given, don't help them to reproduce.
Great tips. I would like to add using a smoke-free mosquito coils in the RV.