Taking your cat camping with you? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Taking your cat camping with you?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Default Taking your cat camping with you?

We have never taken the cat camping with us, but have considered it. I just dont think it would be the best fit, really.

Any suggestions or experinces with taking cats camping with them. I also wonder if I have to watch out for ticks and fleas and who knows what else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

There is NO WAY I could take my cat camping. He is too old, and too "fluffy" (aka fat to less sensitive people).

Even when he was young and able, I would be afraid that he would get out and never come back. They don't come when they are called like a dog does.

I also find that a lot of people choose camping to be able to bring their dog along! My cat wouldn't take kindly to all those dogs around. And you know what happens when a dog starts chasing a cat!

I mean the reason I have a cat is so that I can fill up the food and water dish and get away for a weekend without worrying about him! When I am ready to commit to taking a pet along, I will have to assume all the extra responsibility associated with owning a dog.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:40 AM

I have been camping and vacationing with my folks who have a cat. They always take their cat and it's miserable for the most part. They managed to lose it for about 2 hours one time, the dogs at the campground scare it, etc....

Cats are stealthy and curious. You will be miserable watching the cat 24/7 and the cat will be miserable. Do yourself and your cat a favor and leave it home. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 08:08 AM

I have never been camping with a cat myself. But the people a couple lots down from us are seniors and they keep their cat on a leash and in the trailer.

I guess a house trailer would be alot different than tenting plus the people basically live there all summer so leaving the cat at home is not an otion for them.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Camping Extraordinaire
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I had a cat once that was trained to be on a collar and a leash. I started her out on it when she was a kitten so she was thought it was natural. My neighbors got a kick out of. I no longer have her, but I would be willing to bring a cat like her camping but not a cat who is used to wandering. Dogs are much easier.