do you leave water heater when you are not at camp - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

do you leave water heater when you are not at camp

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default do you leave water heater when you are not at camp

well the water in the camper is just about working i just have to tighten some clamps.my question is can the water heater be on when we are not at camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Answer to your subject line question: Yes, I leave the water heater when I am not at camp - it is not portable and I can't carry it with me.

Answer to your question in the body of your message: No. Doesn't take that long to heat if it goes completely cold.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I turn mine off when not camping. No need to waste gas or electric when not present. We aren't at a permanment site so it can go weeks without use. But if at permanment site I don't see no reason to turn off, hot water when you get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Camping Guru

I turn it on when I get to camp then turn it off before I go home. It's all weekend long. Propane will heat it up right quick. Electric takes a bit longer but works well.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:33 AM
Camper

We just got a brand new camper and it's been 20+ years since I've been camping. Do you turn off EVERYTHING, including the tanks before moving ?? They had everything off from the dealer but now we're on our own.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:15 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isschade View Post
We just got a brand new camper and it's been 20+ years since I've been camping. Do you turn off EVERYTHING, including the tanks before moving ?? They had everything off from the dealer but now we're on our own.
Water pump? Yes (if you spring a leak you won't know). Water heater? Always off except about 15 minutes before needed. Propane? Depends. A packed and cooled down fridge will be okay for several hours while travelling - if taking longer (and not re-fueling) will let fridge run on propane. Be careful where things are, though. I got to a campground one time and discovered that a bike had moved in the camper, knocking one of the stove knobs. Had to air it out (though I leave my Maxx Air vent open while travelling, so that helped).
Old 07-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I turn everything off when we are not camping, but when we arrive at the CG, I fire up the water as part of set up and turn it off as part of take down.