Black Bears & Tents - Page 3 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Black Bears & Tents

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Wow! Well I hope most of the bear around here are still a little timid. Here is an article of interest. Read the whole thing, don't quit after the scary part.
Smoky Mountains Information: Your Smokies: Black Bear Attacks Great Smoky Mountains National Park Visitor on Popular Hiking Trail as Horrified Crowd Watches Helpless in Disbelief.
The rangers are pretty strict here. A year or so ago I accidently left a cooler out while I made a very short restroom trip. It had nothing more than a handfull of grapes in it but cost me about 80 bucks. I was careful before but am even more careful after my expensive lesson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

You should have camped near me and my buddies. We waste no time reminding careless neighbor campers when they need to comply with rules. At least we won't fine you, but I can't guarantee you'd like to hear it from us.

I was awoken from a nice camping sleep when I got sniffed by a bear in my face only one time in my life. We found out that some campers near by were feeding it. Ever since then I do not hesitate to tell my camping neighbors to be compliant. Their carelessness doesn't just affect them, it affects everyone!

I think you got off cheap at $80. Where I camp the fines are from $250 to $2,000 not including the damage to your personal property you will experience. I'm glad you think that was an expensive lesson. But wouldn't following the guidelines be so much cheaper?

I appreciate you posting your story, but it's too bad it had to cost you $80 to learn the lesson. I hope you still look forward to getting out there and keeping it safe, fun and beautiful now that you are so much smarter.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Camper

I said it was an accident not a way of life. I was and am aware of the consequences of feeding bears. I forgot the cooler and was gone for no more than 3-5 minutes.

Thanks for the scolding if that's what it was, I'll let you know when I need another.

Last edited by Jaygee; 10-05-2011 at 02:17 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Not a scolding.. that's not necessary since it cost you $80 to learn what you learned. My apologies, but I was just leaving my stories and what others' carelessness can almost cost. Getting my face sniffed by a bear due to some other person's actions that only takes seconds is just an example that 3-5 minutes could have resulted in much more.

I had to learn some things the hard way but attention to wildlife is more a priority in my mind than others and important since lives of all concerned have been involved. I'm sure there are some things I've done that would bother you more than they would bother me.

Forgive me for not acknowledging your regret and that you were able to learn from this.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Camper

I quit. Not worth it.

Last edited by Jaygee; 10-05-2011 at 05:31 PM..