Black Bears & Tents - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Black Bears & Tents

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

That rule only holds true for Grizzly bear. Black bears will not stop attacking if you play dead. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiseviolet View Post
That rule only holds true for Grizzly bear. Black bears will not stop attacking if you play dead. =)
Thanks for that info. Hopefully I won't get myself into that position. We haven't seen the bear around lately. My neighbor stopped throwing seed out in the street. I better knock on wood. Although, my lab runs into the woods sometimes with his hair up. They might be there I just can't see them.
I'm glad you and your family had a good time. Get your camera fixed and put some photo's up, next time you go. I'm sure we would like to see them. Happy camping.

Bob
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Hmmm.. Now I'm worried about bears. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to use caution and trust my luck. Since I have a truck tent, I can't park my car away from the campsite. Those pictures of the bear hanging on the rope to get the bird food do nothing to reassure me of safety by hanging the food up between trees. Are they attracted by rice or canned beans?

I wonder if I should get some sort of odor-proof strong container to put my victuals in and keep it away from the truck while I'm sleeping.. I wonder if I should take some sort of very bright strobe light and a very loud horn with me to frighten away any bear that might start getting in my tent.

I do have a 9mm but I'm afraid that using it to defend from a bear attack would just piss off the bear . Is there a pretty sure way to avoid attracting large, hungry wild critters to the campsite? (other than the obvious such as keeping food away)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Camping Guru

This is why it's important to contact the local experts (rangers, staff) and ask their advice. You might find nothing to worry about, or the best procedure to use. Most places that are not as popular as Yosemite or Yellowstone have nothing to worry about and you are probably worried too much. The problem with very popular places is that there is an increase of ignorant people that don't become aware and it's these people that give bears a bad name.

Consider the millions of park visitors to ALL bear areas per year and if there are only one or two serious encounters you will find your odds just aren't worth the worry. Don't be ignorant and no one gets hurt. This applies to so many things not including chance bear encounters. You have more chance of getting into a vehicle accident than encountering a bear if you stay bear aware.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Thanks for that info. Hopefully I won't get myself into that position. We haven't seen the bear around lately. My neighbor stopped throwing seed out in the street. I better knock on wood. Although, my lab runs into the woods sometimes with his hair up. They might be there I just can't see them.
I'm glad you and your family had a good time. Get your camera fixed and put some photo's up, next time you go. I'm sure we would like to see them. Happy camping.

Bob

Bruiseviolet
is right. The advise in every bear info poster and sign I have seen in AZ, NM, KY, etc. say the same thing. "If you see a bear, don't approach it, Back away slowly, don't run away, talk loudly in low tones, make yourself look big (somehow) and finally, if the bear attacks you Do not play dead. and Fight with everything you can, camera, binoculars, rocks, sticks or even your fists and feet. Your chances of survival are better if you fight back.......

Last edited by silverz51; 10-02-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I am not about to go anywhere there are critters who consider themselves higher on the "food chain" than I am without the appropiate size firearm. Jim.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
I am not about to go anywhere there are critters who consider themselves higher on the "food chain" than I am without the appropiate size firearm. Jim.
I can identify with you Jim. However, the "appropriate size" firearm in may case was too inconvenient to carry and I was afraid that I would not be able to use it effectively. My friend offered to lend me a .44 magnum revolver, I tried it, etc. But in the end I did not want the responsibility for that massive piece. My 12 GA pump with slugs would also theoretically stop a large predator, but either weapon is illegal to carry while you are hiking in many places, and it would do little good stashed in the tent (where it could get stolen anyway). The spray seems to be the most effective deterrent for animal attacks. I guess if I was in Alaska or other places where firearms are allowed, I'd carry a big pistol or rifle as well as the spray.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

I wonder if you can carry a firearm if you only had non-lethal ammo. the shock of getting hit might give you enough time to get away.

Places I have Camped at Civilian/Army
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Camping Guru

If I carried a weapon I wouldn't aim it at the animal. They don't like the noise, so if you fire aim high. If you fire the weapon and hit the bear, they'll forget about the noise and defend itself and stop what's causing the pain - YOU. That's when the trouble starts.

I think it's best to fire in the air repeatedly, then all the animal has to contend with is the infernal noise that it can easily walk away from. Most problems occur when you put an animal in defense mode, then all bets are off. Don't forget to remove the silencer.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 10-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

First of all, I am no expert in bears or any other animal, nor an expert in firearms, sprays, knives or even clubs. All know are theories based on other people's accounts (which may be based on theories and suppositions).
Anyway, I've talked with a number of people who've had encounters with bears and they say "no problems, the bears are not aggressive, etc." Of course, try telling that to the hikers that have been mauled or killed by bears and mountain lions over the last few months....

Like Art says, probably discharging a loud gun into the air or the ground (where it's safe), will probably tend to scare them off (and you still have the weapon for last resort use) A lot of people have used the spray successfully to repel charges by bears, mountain lions, and other dangerous animals (moose, elk, bison, dogs, etc.). The only animals I've killed with a gun were some black birds and snakes until I realized what I was doing. I have not intentionally harmed any animals (except some insects) since then, about 40 years ago. I have great doubts of my capacity to kill even a charging bear because I'm just not trained to shoot to kill... That is why I chose not to carry a weapon for defense against animals.

I've read about people who've survived lion and bear attacks. Some managed to kill or wound the predator others were rescued by other people. They all said that the animals' strength and will to live was "like 10 men" (from a report of a mt. Lion on a woman bicyclist in CA). I doubt that even if I filled it full of 9mm hollow points, the bear or lion would probably maul me severely if not kill me unless I got a very luck shot to the heart, brain or lungs. I leave the guns to hunters or other experienced people.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Camping Guru

Yup, check that.. fire into the ground away from everyone, and hope nothing ricochets... and if using blanks aim anywhere you want.

Or do like I do. Don't carry a gun at all and leave it to Mother Nature and fate whether I survive visiting where bear's live. It's only fair.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

In the Smokey mountains the rangers tell you to make as much noise as possible to scare away the black bears. Noise such as banging pans together and shouting. But, do not challenge the bear by approaching it or moving toward it quickly in any manner.

And I'm sure you have all heard the joke that to avoid bears attacking you, you should wear a clown suit. Bears won't eat you because clowns taste funny. (I know, GROAN) Sorry. The ranger told us that joke too.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Camping Guru

Here in the Sierras, banging pots doesn't work anymore... the bears over here have learned to treat this like a dinner bell, since they know banging pots mean there's food close by. I guess it's a regional thing. The rangers over here tell us to make noise that is NOT food related. Jumping up and down, grouping together and making lots of noise. Now dressing like clowns sounds like a great idea. Now if I can get a clown suit that is thermal and made of Gore-Tex, I think you might have something there.

Hopefully Bears in the Smokey mountains don't learn that from the Western bears. We'll try and keep our bears over here and you try and keep your bears over there. What it actually means is that the people over in your area are smarter and have kept the bears clueless and over here in the west, we have taught them all the wrong stuff!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

nothing like a fall bear tag,it solves my problems of intruding black bears,and fills my freezer with some jucy steaks.but if eating the bear does not fit your fancy,then bring along a 12 guage,and fill the bears backside with rock salt,wont do him in but will sting quite alot
Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Addicted Camper

Pots, pans and even air horns don't phase them in Jersey anymore. They look at you and go back to what they were doing. They got use to it.
I don't know about rock salt. Might just p... them off and get you arrested.
I took out the recycling the other night and came across a bear. He looked at me and I at him. I backed off and took the stuff out in the morning. There are so many bear by us now, that we are getting familiar with each other. We get to see at least one a day, sounds like a vitamin. They have not been aggressive, at least not yet, but need to be respected, especially with cubs around.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke