using public showers - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

using public showers

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Default using public showers

One thing that is really important when you are new to camping is to take precautions when using public facilites. While the rest areas may be kept clean, there is always bacteria. To combat this, you will see most campers wearing flipflops in the showers.

When the kids are in the restrooms, don't let them drink directly from the taps. If they are brushing their teeth, they should rinse with a paper cup that can be thrown away or a cup from your own household but never let them put their mouths on the taps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Default Reply:

Yes, thank you very much campingforfun, i have seen many new campers getting serious diseases while they don't follow the precautions. You have described an important point.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM

This reminds me of my bad experience in the public water at a park in the city. I splashed in the water and I got a really bad rash on my arms. If it's public anything you shouldn't use it. I would prefer a lake to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Thanks friend for very cautioned post . These tips are good to keep the camper away from the becterial diseases .
Old 01-17-2008, 04:45 PM

This is truth about most of our bad experiences. We learn fro them. Never ever do that again !! I say that to my girls all time. They are tired of hearing it. Bacteria is just in too large of a supply in the public areas. So I stay away.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:47 AM

we have seen some pretty bad public showers in our day. We actually had one place that someone had, well, done number 2 in the shower . Needless to say, I didnt use it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Are you serious??

I think I will be double checking the showers from now on, I always wear flip flops anyway, but that is plain disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash D View Post
we have seen some pretty bad public showers in our day. We actually had one place that someone had, well, done number 2 in the shower . Needless to say, I didnt use it.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Camping Extraordinaire

That is definately nasty-yes we always use flip flops for the shower. It is very hard for my 5 year old to understand my germaphobia.. (it doesn't help I am a pediatric nurse).
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 AM

Gail - I had no idea that you were a pediatric nurse! All I can say is WOW!! Because most of us don't have all that germ information in our heads. You must excellent at keeping the children away from the obvious dangers from germs. What a great profession you have.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Great advice!!!!!!
My wife introduced me to the CROCK fad this summer and I hated them UNTIL I needed to use the public shower..

Have loved them ever since!!!!!

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 02-04-2009, 12:35 PM

another thing is that you can carry a little plastic container with lid that has bleach in it. Pour it on the shower floor and wait a few minutes then turn the water on to rinse and wear those crocs or flip flops!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Camping Fanatic

Good idea, will have to get some crocs! Man I hate those shower floors.

Ford Mainline
Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Camping Guru

Funny you bring this topic up. I'm a night time shower kind of guy. I like goin to bed clean. No bug spray and so on. Most campgrounds I go to we ask to be near the restrooms and I keep a good eye. I wait until the cleaning people go in and do their thing and leave, usually they clean at night around 11:00 pm. That's when I go in with my flip flops obviously and have a shower. All you can smell is bleach and other cleaning products. During the day, I won't step foot in the bathroom. Now that we have the trailer I don't worry about it so much as long as I have a sewer site.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Smile

When we go camping we take a can of LYSOL and wipes spray down the whole shower, door knobs, any thing that might have germs we give the floor a good going over.When you spray you can step out till the air clears.every where we go we use the wipes to clean our hands.Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Wow! I think I'm going to like it here (I'm a newbie). Good to know how many others worry about this sort of thing.