using public showers - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

using public showers

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Lysol.....BIG cans of Lysol!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 11:18 AM

I can honestly say all of the NYS campgrounds that I have gone to have been very clean. I always have the kids where flip flops or sandals of some sort or water shoes. We even have waited till right after they clean the showers to go and shower. But so far no yucky experiences!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Yeah agreed, I never used the bleach while camping but from now on it's happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Camping Fanatic

It still never ceases to amaze me how some of these public showers look. Why are some people so nasty

Ford Mainline
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
It still never ceases to amaze me how some of these public showers look. Why are some people so nasty
A lot of people just plain dont care, if it isnt theirs its even worse.

Been in a truck stops where some one smeared crap all over the walls in a stall once. Not kidding!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash D View Post
we have seen some pretty bad public showers in our day. We actually had one place that someone had, well, done number 2 in the shower . Needless to say, I didnt use it.
I've found this situation.

We need to use public facilities because don't have shower in the camper (except a portable one). I do the same that Antigua said: try to sync with the cleaning crew.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 AM
_

Was at a unique one this past week, an old state park in Florida. There were 3 showers (with walls between them), but only the middle one had a drain. The outer two drained under the wall to it. Needless to say, I always chose an outer one.
I went in one time, and someone had just gone into the middle shower (maybe he didn't know how they were setup). I was polite - I didn't pee in the shower that time.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

most of the time when we have been camping it was the weekend (2 nights) and just used our bathroom in the camper. But this past week we stayed for 4 nights so our tanks we full and we had to use the bathhouse. Lesson learned: if no full hookups use their showers (wearing shoes) for the first 2 nights (with no one hardly camping) then use your camper bath the next 2. Some of the things I saw would make you sick.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestcamper View Post
Was at a unique one this past week, an old state park in Florida. There were 3 showers (with walls between them), but only the middle one had a drain. The outer two drained under the wall to it. Needless to say, I always chose an outer one.
I went in one time, and someone had just gone into the middle shower (maybe he didn't know how they were setup). I was polite - I didn't pee in the shower that time.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Camping Guru

Ugh.... NEVER pee in the shower. You can't be sure the pee drains and doesn't stay in the trap instead. That's just NOT nice. In fact, it's disgusting. I hope you don't do this at home either. If you do, I hope I've explained why it's not a good idea.

You are done with the shower and come out and any urine festers in the drain trap. AGHHHH!!!

Now that you brought up this possibility I may never use a public shower again. At least I wear shower shoes but what's festering is still disgusting.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Camper

Bacteria on feet would be quite normal, I wouldn't take any extra precautions unless the shower is obviously filthy and dirty. Perhaps it's better to play it safe though.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Camping Guru

I forgot to mention that in all my years of traveling and public showers, I've seen it all... from smelling pee in the shower to seeing poop left in the shower, toilet (not flushed), a urinal, on the walls and even right on the floor in some corner of the bathroom. And these are just the men's rooms. I've heard similar stories in the ladies rooms from my wife (no urinal stories, though). Astounding!!!

Never go to public restrooms barefoot unless you have a real strong constitution and an amazing body immunity. I'm sure the cleaning crew did a fine job getting to these some time during the day, but just the thought is disgusting about the desperation of some people.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash D View Post
we have seen some pretty bad public showers in our day. We actually had one place that someone had, well, done number 2 in the shower . Needless to say, I didnt use it.
What in the world?!?!

You'd actually think that they'd know the difference between a toilet and a shower. Geez!!!

Apart from the flip flops, I think I better bring a can of Lysol along with me...just in case.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Camping Guru

I don't think it's about education.

Picture this true story. I went camping at a Boy Scout camp as one of the adult leaders in our group where several troop camps were sharing the same bathroom (about 2 stalls and 1 or 2 urinals). Over the week's time and as a leader trained to observe, I would always notice 6-10 of the inner-city Boy Scout Troop members going to the distant toilet. I imagine it was because they were afraid of the wild animals in the area especially bears and since most of these kids had probably never seen a forest they always looked scared and the rule of traveling in pairs was just not enough for them. But every time they were done using the restroom and boys would go use the thing, they would report the toilet was filthy.

I finally went down myself one day and found TWO piles of poop in different corners (no paper) and the toilet clogged with poop and paper, so much that it couldn't be flushed. When I reported it to the staff they mentioned "it's been happening all week". They had unfortunate staff members have to clean it up every time.

Again, true story!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 09-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

what do you teach your girls about using public toilets??