can anyone tell me where a second 30 amp outlet goes? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

can anyone tell me where a second 30 amp outlet goes?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Camper

Smile can anyone tell me where a second 30 amp outlet goes?

I just bought a 1995 Coachmen Royal 360 RK 5th wheel, and a previous owner had a second 30 amp outlet installed above the manufacturer's outlet in the back.
We think that it's hooked up to the washer/dryer electrical outlet, but what else?
That's a lot of electric, and I'm used to running a second 20 amp extension cord into my original camper, which I use for heat in the dead of winter...30 amps isn't enough.
I live in my current camper all year round and have two electric oil-filled radiators and one ceramic heater with a fan.
When it's 0 degrees to -10 degrees outside, I'm warm.
Now that I have a newer 5th wheel camper with better insulation, I'm looking forward to being warmer.
The previous owner(s) put a lot of options in this new camper:
New roof
Wood plank flooring in kitchen
Ducted roof air conditioning
42” ceiling fan
Residential size microwave 1.3 cu in
Free standing dinette with 4 chairs
Residential AM/FM cassette stereo
Radius windows
Awning
2 outside – 30 amp outlets and cords
Plumbing for washer/dryer
Please tell me what suggestions you have from experience since every dealer and Coachmen RV can't tell me.

Last edited by gcharles; 10-01-2019 at 10:31 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 PM
Camper

Hey up there--hope you've figured this out by now and you are safe from the storm.
Your post was in my newsletter tonight but since I haven't participated until now, it took a bit of research before I found the Reply key!

If you don't soon get help from the Experts on this site, let me know.

You may get a faster response if you re-post to a forum topic where they are discussing mechanics & upload a photo of the outlets in question plus your generator info.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:59 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

I guess the best was is plug up number 1 and see what is power up. Then unplug and plug up # 2 see what is powered up may guive you some answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Camper

Default two 30 amp cords

Well, my friend and I sorted out which cord is which, but I still don't know specifically where they run to.
We took the 20 amp extension cord and plugged it into the camper's secondary cord with it's adapter...I now have lights and outlets so I vacuumed and ran a grinder in the microwave shelf to make it wider after I took out the microwave.
Since the refrigerator doesn't work, I figured that the 'big stuff' is wired on the main 30 amp cord that I haven't plugged in yet.
I get more specifically nosy later.
Thanks guys!
Old 10-29-2019, 10:13 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

what about propane on refrigerator does that work ?
Old 10-29-2019, 10:29 AM
Camper

Default update

this Magic Chef fridge is a replacement to the Norcold that was in the camper originally, and it only runs on electric, which suits me fine because I don't use anything with propane...I run electric only.
I was a demolition contractor for 40+years and got calls from insurance companies for trailers and homes where the propane tanks blew up.
I have been using two electric oil-filled radiators that provide great heat, and a ceramic heater with a fan too.
When the power is off, I had a 10,000 BTU kerosene heater, but it was stolen.
I'm looking at buying a Little Buddy propane heater, 4,000 to 9,000 BTUs, for those times.
I researched using propane and besides having to go out and buy more, it was more expensive than just using the electric I already have.
I don't cook on my stove...I have a microwave for simple warming and a countertop skillet for real cooking, plus any number of other culinary equipment from when I had a home...I have two sizes of George Foreman grills.
This newer camper has insulated floors and is warmer without heat when I go in to do work in preparation...I'm looking forward to using less heat.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Are you sure it is plug in and did you check your gfi breaker try reseting it and see ? also check you main breaker panel make sure your the breakers are are all on.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:50 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

It really sounds like it is a 50 amp service some one did a botched job at it. It sounds like you really need a real electric service RV man. Thinking it could not be a safe system if a so called electric wire man wired it. I have never seen a system with 2 plugs with a 20 amp and another plug 30 amp.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:18 AM
Camper

Default RE: electric

Crawford...the camper has two 30 amp cords and both are wired into the fuse box inside. The first one is the manufacturer's, the second one was installed later as an aftermarket source of power.
I used a 20 amp extension cord in my first camper, so I used it on the second cord with an adapter on it so that it worked.
I just installed a second 30 amp outlet at my outside fuse panel, but haven't used it yet.
A friend offered to rent the original camper as soon as I move over to the newer camper, so I'm going to use that second outlet for the first camper when the time comes...it'll save me the money for a 50' extension cord...lol.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:05 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Maybe open the circuit box panel look and see were the 30 amp wire is wired into which breaker
Old 10-30-2019, 09:07 PM
Camper

Default RE: electric 2

I plan on plugging both in as soon as possible. Both are wired directly, and both are 30 amps each. As I said, the second one was added later and makes the total amps at 60.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Camper

well, this has been exciting. I moved in on Saturday this weekend. The first two mornings it was 50 degrees inside when I woke up...ewww...even with both oil-filled radiators running full blast all night.
It turns out that the two 30 amp cords run each side of the camper. I learned this from experience. I have to turn off the one heater on the same side as the microwave to warm my coffee in it in the morning. I blow a breaker inside AND outside at the pole...not cool.
My friend Dave, who I brought the camper to my attention, says that what I really need is an infrared quartz heater. He loaned me his new one, NIB. It actually works better, and I'm using one with an oil-filled radiator. It's 61 in here when I wake up in the morning. That's better, but I can't wait to try two infrared heaters.
He also texted me a photo of a 14-inch insulator for the overhead vents from Amazon.
They're on sale so I ordered two.
I haven't gotten exchanged from the 20 amp extension cord, but I have a 30 amp cord and have to repair it, then switch them out.
I have more to move.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Camper

Dave sent me a text message showing that Amazon is running a sale on 14-inch square RV vent insulators...I bought two for $6.20 each, then learned that Walmart sells them for that too. Two were delivered today and are quite 'healthy'. I installed them both and bought one more at Walmart.