can anyone tell me where a second 30 amp outlet goes? - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

can anyone tell me where a second 30 amp outlet goes?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: None

Instead of using a lightbulb, you might consider using a Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter. More expensive for sure, but definitely more durable and puts out more heat per watt than lightbulbs. That link is just a suggestion - you can find them in any number of online and local farm supply stores. If I camped where there was electricity, I would heat my tent with two or three of them.

Last edited by MacGyver; 11-17-2019 at 03:03 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 04:35 PM
Camper

Thank you for the idea and the link, MacGyver...that's a much better idea.
I'm only going to do this a few times over a few winters, so $12 isn't a big deal...well worth it in the long run.

Last edited by gcharles; 11-17-2019 at 04:39 PM..
Old 11-17-2019, 06:14 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Instead of using a lightbulb, you might consider using a Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter. More expensive for sure, but definitely more durable and puts out more heat per watt than lightbulbs. That link is just a suggestion - you can find them in any number of online and local farm supply stores. If I camped where there was electricity, I would heat my tent with two or three of them.
Like he said 100 watt light bulb would do it with that type of weather you will have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 08:07 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcharles View Post
Thank you for the idea and the link, MacGyver...that's a much better idea.
I'm only going to do this a few times over a few winters, so $12 isn't a big deal...well worth it in the long run.
You're welcome. Just keep in mind that they do require the use of a ceramic socket. Another plus is that they come in various wattages if the need arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
Like he said 100 watt light bulb would do it with that type of weather you will have.
I'm just not a fan of taking any kind of glass out on a camping trip - especially something as fragile as a light bulb. When I pull into a site and see a bunch of broken glass it really annoys the hell out of me.

Last edited by MacGyver; 11-17-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Camper

Since it's been warmer outside the past few days and overnight, the camper has repeatedly been 73 until the sun comes up and the solar gain kicks in...then I have turn off the one radiator and set the thermostats on the other two infrared heaters.
I like that...a lot...lol.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Camper

Well, now I have a mystery to solve. Everytime I knock out a breaker in the camper, the breakers in the panel in the kitchen may be thrown, and I put it back on, but I have to go outside to my main panel box and throw those breakers on everytime. Why?
If I throw a breaker inside and put it back on, why are both 30 amp breakers going off outside? That makes no sense.
In my previous camper, the only time that I had to go outside to my main panel box was is my secondary 20 amp extension cord threw the GFR and I had to turn it back on...it had a short if it rained...it's been repaired.
What ideas on this do you have?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Camper

BTW, the reason for the breaker throwing off tonight was I forgot to turn my heater off before I used my microwave.
The microwave is on it's own breaker, but the whole camper went dark.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:47 PM
Camper

I had a 'duh' moment this morning, then a revelation from not paying better attention.
I woke up in my bed at 6 am freezing with just the bedsheet covering me. My power had gone off during the night. After I ascertained that the power was off my whole area and called my power company to report my outage, I texted my friend who found this camper and told me. He said that if I had two deep cycle batteries, I could have lights and the propane heater running on the 12 volt system.
That was a revelation to me because I had been looking at buying a Little Buddy propane heater as a backup for when the power went out.
Shortly after that, I left and went up to see another part of my property. The renter gave me a second deep cycle battery that he had...another friend gave me the first one three weeks ago. Now all I need is to charge them and have them hooked up. My propane bottles are almost empty too, so I need to fill one, at least.
My power came back on at 3:30 pm...
Old 12-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Camper

I'm making headway finally...I'm charging the two batteries and installing them in the camper...yay!
And I found out what my electrical problem is...the length of my two 30 amp cords is too long and I'm losing voltage. 30 amp cords are 10 gauge and I need 6 gauge cords to go that far without voltage loss. That's an expensive 'fix' but it has to happen.