Are there any air mattresses out there that last? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Are there any air mattresses out there that last?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Camper

Default Are there any air mattresses out there that last?

I have used basic single high Intex air mattresses for years and have wanted to upgrade to something with a bit more support but the reviews for all of them that I’ve seen have said they are of poor quality and don’t last long. The ones I’ve used don’t last either, eventually they all leak throughout the night and I wake up on the floor.

Are there any good ones out there that last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Personally, I think they're all crap now. I remember having air mattresses 30 years ago that got jumped on and didn't pop. The ones I've tried in the last five years or so have all been disasters. Well padded underneath, careful not to have anything sharp near it and careful not to flop down on it... and still wind up on the ground from holes and seam splits.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Personally, I think they're all crap now. I remember having air mattresses 30 years ago that got jumped on and didn't pop. The ones I've tried in the last five years or so have all been disasters. Well padded underneath, careful not to have anything sharp near it and careful not to flop down on it... and still wind up on the ground from holes and seam splits.
That’s what I figured, pretty disappointing considering there’s such a void and huge market for them. I can’t imagine the cost of production would be that bad, it’s just plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

We stopped using air mattresses years ago and have Coleman ComfortSmart deluxe cots instead.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:40 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

We have been using Thermarest self inflatable mattresses. We have had the same mattresses for 11 years with no issues. The problem with the cheap large air mattresses is they really aren’t made for outside use. As the air temperature changes they expand when it is warm and then shrinks when it gets cooler. That stresses the seam causing leaks. And they suck the heat out of your body.

With the self inflating mattresses you put a couple of puffs in them just before you go to sleep and open the valve when you get up.

By they way we are both 62. We both have arthritis and we both sleep comfortably on the Thermarest mattresses on the ground.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Camper

What model of Thermarest is the best? I like to go beach camping on the islands off the Florida coast. I mostly use the cheap Intex air mattress from Wal-Mart. But it's heavy, and slow to inflate.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

What's best is subjective. What's comfortable for me might not work for you. Having said that, I have an ancient Thermarest that's closest to their current BaseCamp model and a newer LuxuryMap, both of which I find comfortable.

People will tell you that you can "puff them up" with a few breaths of air for a bit of extra firmness, but that introduces moisture into the pad which, over time, can lead to mold. After they do their self inflating thing, I hit 'em with a battery operated high volume, low pressure pump for a few seconds and I sleep very well.

Last edited by MacGyver; 08-21-2019 at 05:31 PM..
Old 08-24-2019, 03:43 AM
Camper

We stopped using air mattresses long ago.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

in our coach we have a select comfort with the numbers also had home 35 years on home never a problem on my 2 coaches 20 years total.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Camper

Never using air mattresses