Best Cook Set? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Best Cook Set?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Denni2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 02:42 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Best Cook Set?

What is the best cook set (pots/pans)to use for cooking on a camp-inn stove? I know cast iron is great for a skillet and griddle, but what kind of sauce pan(s) are best - cooks evenly, durable, easy to clean? Also, what's best for boiling water for tea/coffee? A tea kettle or a regular sauce pan (no wasted space)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Popup

If weight isn't a concern, I like thick aluminum saucepans with the newer durable non stick coatings from companies like Farberware or, if you have deep pockets, Calphalon. The thicker metal offers more even heat than thinner pans. You do wind up stuck with using utensils that don't scratch, but the cleanups are super easy. For boiling water, I use a lightweight kettle with a lid to conserve fuel. I have a 1 liter GSI Haulite kettle and I love it. Also comes in a 1.8 liter size. If space is a concern, there are kettles that are shaped more like saucepans such as MSR's Titan and Big Titan.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

I don’t know if you are cooking large amounts. We have a small Stainless Steel Cook set. 3 pots and 3 lids that stack together. It is big enough for 4 people. We also can use the lids for bowls. I found it on sale do $30. To clean them I scrap out all the food and put a tiny bit of Barkeeper’s friend on a paper towel and wipe them inside and out. It takes no scrubbing. Then I have a spray bottle with a few drops of soap and water and spray the pans. Wipe and rinse. After 9 years they look like new.
For heating water we have a 9 cup stainless percolater. I don’t care for food cooked in aluminum especially coffee.

I use a cast iron skillet also. I call it the original nonstick. It is my favorite pan.
Ekm2243 likes this.