Anywhere legal to camp outside of designated sites? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Discussion

Anywhere legal to camp outside of designated sites?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Camper

Default Anywhere legal to camp outside of designated sites?

I am new to tent camping. Camping at a designated site isn't that appealing to me. Are there locations where camping anywhere one chooses is allowed? I am not looking for specific sites, but ideas on where to look. For example state parks here in Ohio only allow camping in designated areas. Are there public lands in each state where camping outside of designated areas is allowed (for example - national parks). I am an avid hiker and I always thought it would be cool to hike deep in the woods and not worry about getting back to the trail head before dark. Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Are you sure you want to do this? Love the romantic side of this, but what happens if you have an accident? No one will know or even where to look for you. Unlike here in the UK where mobile (or cell phone) coverage is everywhere, I do know after visiting the USA, that coverage is hit and miss at the best of times.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: None

Your best bet would be to contact the Ohio Division of Forestry to see what is and what isn't allowed in your state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Camper

Hi Michael, have you been to Scioto Trail State Park? I've been there once and the place was really cool. You can visit this website as a reference https://www.ohioexplored.com/blog-po...-spots-in-ohio. It contains a list of camping sites in Ohio that you'll be interested to visit! Good luck in your next trail!

My website: https://www.wildthingzllc.com

Last edited by Chris889; 11-05-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Old 11-14-2018, 05:45 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

I agree with MacGyver, checking your local Division of Forestry is the safest and easiest way to asses your available options and also respect the law. Just a quick call or a short visit to their bureau will prove very insightful.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Are your places of interest near to farmland? In England, if needs must, we can use farmland, with the owner's permission, although no hook-ups to electric or water, etc. This may be an idea for you