Camping in Texas - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Campgrounds, Resorts and Attractions

Camping in Texas

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Send a message via Yahoo to dchaviland
Default Camping in Texas

Hey Folks:

I'd like to give very high recommendations to the Alamo KOA in San Antonio. We hopped in there on a short 4 day jaunt with only a 8 day advanced notice. Very NICE facilities, pull through slots and surprisingly very close to downtown and about 15 from Six-Flaggs. Definitely going to be making some return trips. I didn't catch eye of a pool for the summer months but I do know there is a stream that goes through the park.

My other favorite park, Galveston State Park, as some of you may know is closed indefinately. I'd give DW a present and plunk her in there for two weeks and come down to visit when I could sneak out from work early. However, hurricane IKE *destroyed* the park and the park ranger at a nearby park said it may take 3-5 years before GSP is open again. Minus traffic, it was only about 45 minutes from Houston.

That said, I can vouge for Livingston State Park and Huntsville State Park to the north of Houston, up I-45. Both have fishing facilities, with the slightly better being at Livingston. Both have swimming facilities as Livingston has a pool and Huntsville has a lake. We'll be staying at these again over the summer as well. Huntsville has pull-thru slots but some of the slots are bowed as the park is cut into the gentle hills - so you will definitely need someone with a walkie to help. Some larger slots are back in only. If memory serves, Livingston only has back in slots but both parks can accomodate sizeable RV's. Advanced reservations and even a call to the ranger's office would be prudent.

Hope that helps someone.

David

Last edited by dchaviland; 01-13-2009 at 02:48 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement