Camping @ Reelfoot - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

Camping @ Reelfoot

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Camping @ Reelfoot

The weather was wonderful! It was really a great weekend for camping. It's about a two hour drive for us to Reelfoot Lake and we had no issues until we arrived. I got out while hubby backed into the site and as he was backing in, there was a loud pop and then a terrible screeching sound. I knew right away it was a brake. We went ahead and set up and decided to take it apart in the morning. (It's a very rural area and there's nothing there and being a weekend it's even worse.) I wasn't going to let it ruin my trip, though!

When we took it apart the next day, we found a broken spring and the adjuster was laying in the bottom just rolling around. There was no where to get the parts to fix it at that point so we did the only thing we could - disconnected that one brake. We enjoyed the rest of the weekend and drove home (a bit slower) with only three brakes. We'll be fixing it later this week.

We drove up to Hickman, KY with the intention of taking the ferry across the Mississippi River into New Madrid, MO. The ferry is closed indefinitely. So we drove further up into Cayce, KY. (Nothing in this area at all.) We did manage to find a nice view from the bluffs in Hickman and a Casey Jones monument in Cayce. I did think that was neat, since we live not too far from Casey Jones Village in Jackson, TN.

The kids made lots of new friends, as always, and spent a good bit of time playing with them. My dog found persimmons and ate a few, which of course hurt her stomach. She also took up squirrel watching. She didn't bark at them...she just sat and watched them play.

All in all, it was a nice relaxing weekend. Next camping trip is in three weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Glad yall had a good trip, well, for the most part. Sorry about the brake troubles, sounds like it went ok though, all in all.

I havent camped at reelfoot in years, bout 7 I think. I love to fish there though, great fishing for bream, crappie, catfish, you name it. They also have eagle tours and other things there, did you do any of that?

Ford Mainline
Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Oh yeah, they also have a big arts and crafts festival every year, music, etc.... I think its always the first weekend in October. This year its the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Brings in 40,000 plus people every year. Havent been, but heard it is a lot of fun.

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 AM

We've done the pontoon cruises, the visitor's center, the walk around the boardwalk. Arts and Crafts is this coming weekend. We were there during it last year and I said then never again. It was so crowded that it took about 45 minutes to get back to the park. People were bringing in their campers and setting them up last weekend. The park is already full...my inlaws and their friends are staying the week for it. It's a big thing up there but I don't like to shop (I know, a woman who doesn't like to shop?) so it just isn't of interest to me. Hubby has family that lives there. Years ago, his grandfather was the post master in Tiptonville. We've done and seen about everything over the years we've visited. It's still beautiful there.