How Much Camping Gear Do You Really Need? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

How Much Camping Gear Do You Really Need?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By FiresideCamping
  • 1 Post By Jonesycampgirl
  • 1 Post By MacGyver
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Cricket's Avatar
Administrator
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 205
Default How Much Camping Gear Do You Really Need?

How Much Camping Gear Do You Really Need?-gear.jpg

While I fully admit having a spare bedroom completely filled with camping gear, I am wondering, how much camping gear do we really need? Do you have a list of "must haves" for you?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Default

We can never have enough, lol.
Cricket and Jonesycampgirl like this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Babstreefern's Avatar
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 135
Default

Same here, we have all sorts, all collected over the years of caravanning. I've now had an emergency spring clean of everything. Our caravan had been parked up in a locked compound near to where I live (I actually live in Manchester, England), and it got stolen from there. I know I won't see it again, but thankfully, it was insured, new for old, so will eventually get a new caravan and everything inside it replaced. Going stir crazy at the moment, as we're usually out and about, especially with the lovely weather we're having. Should have been on Exmoor in Somerset. Perhaps will get there in the, hopefully, not too distant future
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 PM
MacGyver's Avatar
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maryland - The Tax Me State
Posts: 148
Default

I have three sets of floor to ceiling industrial shelving for all my camping gear. That doesn't include the stuff that doesn't fit the shelves, like the solar setups (2), the battery charging station with various batteries from 7 amp SLAs to 110 amp deep cycles, five different size coolers, and some of my larger Pelican Storm cases. Figuring out what all to take definitely requires lists. I have lists for each season with variations of each depending on the expected weather, whether it's a solo trip or in a group and just how much luxury I want to take with me on a particular trip. My favorite hobby at the moment is seeing how to take the most comfort in the smallest amount of space in the truck. I've been buying a lot of backpacking gear even though my backpacking days are over.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 104
Default

Well, I'm working on a new list of must haves, as I get ready for my first tent camping trip in I don't even know how many years, lol. It's a little different than when I went camper camping in my pop up, which the last time I believe was in 2014.

At any rate, basic staples for either so far: pillow & bedding, stove & cooking gear, ice chest, trash bags, deck of cards & other games perhaps. Of course, I'll take as many luxuries as I can.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-29-2018, 08:46 AM
MacGyver's Avatar
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maryland - The Tax Me State
Posts: 148
Default

When my popup pretty much rusted out I thought I was going to be miserable going back to tent camping. It was a little rough at first, but over the years I've refined my lists and figured out enough tricks to make camping a lot easier. It dawned on me that popups just require too much work to set up and break down. Add in maintenance, tags fees and the inability to get to some of the more secluded sites and I don't miss it at all. Other than a rigid, easy-in-easy-out door, I have everything in a tent that I had in a trailer. I'm off the ground with electric lights and heat when needed - and everything but a few bulky items fit inside the cab of the truck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2018, 09:35 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
When my popup pretty much rusted out I thought I was going to be miserable going back to tent camping. It was a little rough at first, but over the years I've refined my lists and figured out enough tricks to make camping a lot easier. It dawned on me that popups just require too much work to set up and break down. Add in maintenance, tags fees and the inability to get to some of the more secluded sites and I don't miss it at all. Other than a rigid, easy-in-easy-out door, I have everything in a tent that I had in a trailer. I'm off the ground with electric lights and heat when needed - and everything but a few bulky items fit inside the cab of the truck.

My new tent has the hinged door. I'll most likely zip it anyway other than loading/unloading, or quick in and out, but detest the floppy doors when opened, especially when it's rainy.

How is your tent off the ground?

Yes, pop ups are quite a bit of work, but I'm looking at the coachmen clipper 9.0 for possible future. It looks so easy and has just what I'm looking for.
MacGyver likes this.

Last edited by Jonesycampgirl; 07-29-2018 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2018, 10:46 AM
MacGyver's Avatar
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maryland - The Tax Me State
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesycampgirl View Post
My new tent has the hinged door. I'll most likely zip it anyway other than loading/unloading, or quick in and out, but detest the floppy doors when opened, especially when it's rainy.

How is your tent off the ground?

Yes, pop ups are quite a bit of work, but I'm looking at the coachmen clipper 9.0 for possible future. It looks so easy and has just what I'm looking for.
My canvas tents aren't off the ground - I sleep on cots. But that kind of made me laugh because I used to carry platforms to get my freestanding dome tents off the ground. A bit extreme in how much I had to haul, but great for getting off the ground and getting level no matter what ground I was on.


And, yeah, I'm also (sort of) in the market for a trailer. No hybrids, no slideouts, just a level it and forget it box.
Jonesycampgirl likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Default

Indeed, very interesting thread
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
My canvas tents aren't off the ground - I sleep on cots. But that kind of made me laugh because I used to carry platforms to get my freestanding dome tents off the ground. A bit extreme in how much I had to haul, but great for getting off the ground and getting level no matter what ground I was on.


And, yeah, I'm also (sort of) in the market for a trailer. No hybrids, no slideouts, just a level it and forget it box.

Lol, okay a cot makes sense. The platform looks pretty cool though, but heavy, and you can't stake down the tent, so no wind allowed!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM
MacGyver's Avatar
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maryland - The Tax Me State
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesycampgirl View Post
Lol, okay a cot makes sense. The platform looks pretty cool though, but heavy, and you can't stake down the tent, so no wind allowed!
Actually, the platforms weren't all that heavy. They're just bulky, which doesn't fit my current "take more in less space" trials. I kind of miss the platforms though. It's next to impossible to get level any other way. But, believe me, I didn't take chances - the tent was screwed down with fender washers to make sure nothing slipped.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Camper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Default

have a look at this blog it might help you out, https://swordsswords.com/blog/things...-survival-kit/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.