How Much Camping Gear Do You Really Need? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

How Much Camping Gear Do You Really Need?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By FiresideCamping
  • 1 Post By Jonesycampgirl
  • 1 Post By MacGyver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Camper Type: Tent

Default How Much Camping Gear Do You Really Need?

How Much Camping Gear Do You Really Need?-gear.jpg

While I fully admit having a spare bedroom completely filled with camping gear, I am wondering, how much camping gear do we really need? Do you have a list of "must haves" for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Camper

We can never have enough, lol.
Cricket and Jonesycampgirl like this.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Same here, we have all sorts, all collected over the years of caravanning. I've now had an emergency spring clean of everything. Our caravan had been parked up in a locked compound near to where I live (I actually live in Manchester, England), and it got stolen from there. I know I won't see it again, but thankfully, it was insured, new for old, so will eventually get a new caravan and everything inside it replaced. Going stir crazy at the moment, as we're usually out and about, especially with the lovely weather we're having. Should have been on Exmoor in Somerset. Perhaps will get there in the, hopefully, not too distant future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

I have three sets of floor to ceiling industrial shelving for all my camping gear. That doesn't include the stuff that doesn't fit the shelves, like the solar setups (2), the battery charging station with various batteries from 7 amp SLAs to 110 amp deep cycles, five different size coolers, and some of my larger Pelican Storm cases. Figuring out what all to take definitely requires lists. I have lists for each season with variations of each depending on the expected weather, whether it's a solo trip or in a group and just how much luxury I want to take with me on a particular trip. My favorite hobby at the moment is seeing how to take the most comfort in the smallest amount of space in the truck. I've been buying a lot of backpacking gear even though my backpacking days are over.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Well, I'm working on a new list of must haves, as I get ready for my first tent camping trip in I don't even know how many years, lol. It's a little different than when I went camper camping in my pop up, which the last time I believe was in 2014.

At any rate, basic staples for either so far: pillow & bedding, stove & cooking gear, ice chest, trash bags, deck of cards & other games perhaps. Of course, I'll take as many luxuries as I can.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

When my popup pretty much rusted out I thought I was going to be miserable going back to tent camping. It was a little rough at first, but over the years I've refined my lists and figured out enough tricks to make camping a lot easier. It dawned on me that popups just require too much work to set up and break down. Add in maintenance, tags fees and the inability to get to some of the more secluded sites and I don't miss it at all. Other than a rigid, easy-in-easy-out door, I have everything in a tent that I had in a trailer. I'm off the ground with electric lights and heat when needed - and everything but a few bulky items fit inside the cab of the truck.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:35 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
When my popup pretty much rusted out I thought I was going to be miserable going back to tent camping. It was a little rough at first, but over the years I've refined my lists and figured out enough tricks to make camping a lot easier. It dawned on me that popups just require too much work to set up and break down. Add in maintenance, tags fees and the inability to get to some of the more secluded sites and I don't miss it at all. Other than a rigid, easy-in-easy-out door, I have everything in a tent that I had in a trailer. I'm off the ground with electric lights and heat when needed - and everything but a few bulky items fit inside the cab of the truck.

My new tent has the hinged door. I'll most likely zip it anyway other than loading/unloading, or quick in and out, but detest the floppy doors when opened, especially when it's rainy.

How is your tent off the ground?

Yes, pop ups are quite a bit of work, but I'm looking at the coachmen clipper 9.0 for possible future. It looks so easy and has just what I'm looking for.
MacGyver likes this.

Last edited by Jonesycampgirl; 07-29-2018 at 09:38 AM..
Old 07-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesycampgirl View Post
My new tent has the hinged door. I'll most likely zip it anyway other than loading/unloading, or quick in and out, but detest the floppy doors when opened, especially when it's rainy.

How is your tent off the ground?

Yes, pop ups are quite a bit of work, but I'm looking at the coachmen clipper 9.0 for possible future. It looks so easy and has just what I'm looking for.
My canvas tents aren't off the ground - I sleep on cots. But that kind of made me laugh because I used to carry platforms to get my freestanding dome tents off the ground. A bit extreme in how much I had to haul, but great for getting off the ground and getting level no matter what ground I was on.

And, yeah, I'm also (sort of) in the market for a trailer. No hybrids, no slideouts, just a level it and forget it box.
Jonesycampgirl likes this.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Camper

Indeed, very interesting thread
Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
My canvas tents aren't off the ground - I sleep on cots. But that kind of made me laugh because I used to carry platforms to get my freestanding dome tents off the ground. A bit extreme in how much I had to haul, but great for getting off the ground and getting level no matter what ground I was on.

And, yeah, I'm also (sort of) in the market for a trailer. No hybrids, no slideouts, just a level it and forget it box.

Lol, okay a cot makes sense. The platform looks pretty cool though, but heavy, and you can't stake down the tent, so no wind allowed!
Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesycampgirl View Post
Lol, okay a cot makes sense. The platform looks pretty cool though, but heavy, and you can't stake down the tent, so no wind allowed!
Actually, the platforms weren't all that heavy. They're just bulky, which doesn't fit my current "take more in less space" trials. I kind of miss the platforms though. It's next to impossible to get level any other way. But, believe me, I didn't take chances - the tent was screwed down with fender washers to make sure nothing slipped.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Camper

have a look at this blog it might help you out, https://swordsswords.com/blog/things...-survival-kit/