fire building in wet weather - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

fire building in wet weather

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default fire building in wet weather

The wife and I were checking out a new area tor good camping spots, and found a nice campground with only one camp. It was three young folks, about 21 years old. We talked to them, and they were hungry, couldn't get a fire started, so I asked if they knew what pitchy wood looked like. They had no clue. Right beside their tent was a complete log that was straight pitch, also severl old stumps that were pitchy. I told them to get their two hatchets and I'd show them how to get a fire starter. I split off pieced of pitch, borrowed a match and lit one piece, they were totally amazed, had never seen something like that. I explained how to find dry wood, and get a nice fire going. They couldn't believe I had a piece of firewood burning with one match. we left and a little while later came back past the campground, and they had a fire going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

A pretty timely post for me considering I'm most likely going to be starting fires in the rain next weekend. My gang's Fall trip is around the corner, the long range forecast hasn't changed all week, so it looks like rain will be an issue at some point.

But I can't say I'm a good scout. Sure.. we'll split wood down down to kindling size and build up to larger and larger pieces, but I always get 'em going with Trioxane, the military firestarter. I bought a huge box of 'em years ago and, despite selling dozens of packages since then, still have a lifetime supply.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

You can also look at buying a cheap fire starter. Some are listed at the following Amazon affiliate site
The best fire starter for camping and survival - GearHose