What are your other hobbies? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

What are your other hobbies?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Default What are your other hobbies?

As much as we all would love to spend every waking minute camping, many of us I am sure have other passions as well.

What do you do for fun in your non-camping time?

I enjoy fishing, hunting, hiking and do a little crafts here and there for fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

My true hobbies, if you could call them that are reading, I could read for hours on end, nothings better than a good book. I also love to do crafts, I make t-shirts, hats, purses etc...I also like to take pictures and I do scrapbooking a little but I'm not very good at it.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Camping Extraordinaire

Currently I would have to say reading is my biggest hobby. I like to do crafts, needle work and such, but right now I don't have the want to or I have too much help (my 5 year old).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfortner View Post
Currently I would have to say reading is my biggest hobby. I like to do crafts, needle work and such, but right now I don't have the want to or I have too much help (my 5 year old).

Well I feel much better now, for a minute after posting my hobbies I thought geez they want to hear bike riding, running...hehe

I bet you get alot of help from your 5 year old...lol...I wish I had the patiences for needle work I really love it but can't do it .
Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

I have a dollhouse that my 5 year old daughter and I are SLOWLY putting together. It is kinda neat to be able to find little things in stores and hear my daughter say, "Oh Mommy!!!! Wouldn't this make a neat _______ for our dollhouse?" Very very rewarding hobby to share with my little helper. Even my 7 year old son has been making little wooden furniture pieces with his grandfather when he visits. I have a little wooden "bench" that he made that makes me smile everytime I look at it!

I like to garden. It is also very helper friendly! "Can I water the plants, Mommy?".... "Can we check to see if any strawberries are ripe Mommy?"... yeah... good times in the back yard!

We like to bake and experiment with new cooking creations!

Gosh I am domesticated!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I'll tell ya Kiteri, I really miss the days whenever my kids were young, we had such good times, we dressed up a playhouse in the backyard, we did curtains, made bed covers bought dishes, gosh it was so much fun, to this day I don't have the heart to tear it down and my kids are now 26 and 27 years old.

Do whatever you can now with them because there will come a time when it becomes like pulling teeth to get them to do anything with you. My oldest is now married and is just now starting to want to " do things with mom again ".
Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Addicted Camper

Our family plays a lot of baseball/softball. My wife plays three leagues, and two of my daughters play. We geocache when we can. Fish when we can. I guess my biggest hobby is my Jeep.

haha, wait those are the same hobbies I do while camping......
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee(8" lift, 37" tires) play rig

Last edited by roadhouse; 03-31-2008 at 10:32 PM..
Old 04-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Camping Fanatic

Hmmm, where do I start

I am an avid hunter and fisherman, so winter is hunting, spring/fall/summer is fishing.
What are your other hobbies?-icam0048.jpg

I also love golf, used to play every weekend, but the wife finally told me something had to go, so golf was cut loose for the most part. I only play 5 or 6 times a year now.

I love to grow a garden, which I do every year. Nothing like those fresh veggies for the camping trip. I will be planting that in a couple of weeks. Well my youngin is "head gardener", I just oversee things. Just ask her, she will tell you.

What are your other hobbies?-garden-2007.jpg

Cooking is something I always enjoy as well. I cook most meals at home too, I just really enjoy it. I am always experimenting with marinades and cooking tactics, gas and charcoal. I only have 4 grills now, only because the dear wife finally said a couple of them had to go.

Sports, man do I love my sports. I have been in mourning for a while now, since the NFL is over. But I am getting better as time goes on, and I still have the NFL Network channel, which helps.

My Teams:
NFL - Dallas Cowboys!
NCAA Basketball/Football - Memphis Tigers - Final Four!
MLB -St. Louis Cardinals
Nascar - Ryan Newman

I am sure I have more, I will stop for now.....

Ford Mainline

Last edited by ctfortner; 04-08-2008 at 06:11 AM..
Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Camping Guru

Boy.... I didn't realize that your wife was such a

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Camping Fanatic

Yep, she is the boss, I don't even deny it anymore. She makes me cook, grow her a garden, catch her fresh fish for dinner, the list goes on.

Ford Mainline
Old 04-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Camping Guru

Well sense I sit behind a desk all day designing signs and drawing up structural detail drawings of the signs and cutting vinyl all day and by night I'm Mr.Mom as my wife doesn't get home until almost 8:00 at night, it doesn't leave much room for a hobby other than sleeping. However, I really like doing construction work around the house and building things with may hands. I like building decks with and for friends. I used to be a body builder for some time but after a car accident and the kids being so young and really our schedule, I just don't have the time anymore. So I guess whatever building projects I can find the time to do and playing with my kids are my two biggest hobbies I have.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Great hobbies everyone! I thought this would be an interesting read, since everyone enjoys different types of things, and everyone only has so much free time, etc...

Wish you were a little closer antigua, could use some construction work, especially on the friend discount
Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 PM

during the winter I love my ice fishing

did I mention ice fishing
i also am a very avid hunter deer and bear

I also golf some
food plot work on my property seem to be a hobby also here are a couple pics of food plots on my land and my camp with the wildlife pond that I dug myself.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Camping Guru

Good morning all!!!

I stumbled back into this thread to add a hobby that I just picked up... astrology!!!

I live about two hours from Cherry Springs State Park (Pennsylvania State Parks - Cherry Springs - PA DCNR) where there have a dark sky preserve, and it is one of the darkest places ON EARTH!!!!!

I picked up a decent telescope cheaply off of Ebay, and WOW can you see the stars at Cherry Springs!!!!!

I can't do it this year, but next year's Star Party campout is definitely on the agenda! AND... it just happens to be on my birthday in 2009!!!!! Happy Birthday to me... Happy Birthday to me.... hehehehe
Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM

I have a few extra hobbies to keep myself busy when I don't have to work or do honey do's. I am a licensed ham radio operators and have been for about 10 years. I am into astronomy and enjoy searching for new things in space such as double stars and looking and the planets. I am also into geocaching. I guess that can go hand in hand with camping.