What are your other hobbies? - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

What are your other hobbies?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Default Hobbies?

Just stumbled on this thread. Some of the hobbies listed are not too portable, taxidermy? Actually, I take some of mine along when we camp. i spin, weave, loom knit etc. My wheel travels on the bed and the overhead cabinets in the living room hold my wool and yarns with the necessary equipment. Sitting outside with my wheel or small looms is a great conversation starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd45529 View Post
Just stumbled on this thread. Some of the hobbies listed are not too portable, taxidermy? Actually, I take some of mine along when we camp. i spin, weave, loom knit etc. My wheel travels on the bed and the overhead cabinets in the living room hold my wool and yarns with the necessary equipment. Sitting outside with my wheel or small looms is a great conversation starter.
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a treadle sewing machine and have been wanting to get a spinning wheel and a loom. I think it would rock to take wool, spin it, loom it, and sew it into something without a spec of electricity!!!!!!!!

I would ABSOLUTELY start that conversation up with you!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Smile Knititng, looming, other fibre crafts etc.

Well, how do we get a thread going for this sort of craft? I would love to find other fiber craft people (spinners, weavers, loomers etc.) I feel as if I am the only person in a vast wasteland of crafters who have no links to each other. I'm not a fanatic. i do like to take my hobby with me, but if it doesn't work where I'm camped, it's not a big deal. I just want to find people who camp and do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Well, I'm learning how to knit. That's a start.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

Heck yes!!! Fiber crafters unite!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 PM

I enjoy a good book and a snifter of cognac. But I much prefer composing the written word than reading it. I enjoy crawling into the bowels of the earth when I can find unexplored caves. Fishing is a great past-time. I tried my hand at hunting, but I didn't fair well....

I enjoy taking the metal detector with me and searching for treasure and meteorites when I go camping. I make native crafts as well (dream catchers, medicine wheels, spears, tomohawks, talking feathers, etc.). I also love to geocache, as it gets me into the outdoors as well. I intercept tornadoes for the national weather service and emergency management, but it isn't really a hobby. But I do love severe weather. I enjoy cooking either at home or in the wilderness. I have recently discovered the thrill of movie making and I have posted a few on You Tube. Great thread. Very interesting to see others responses.