"I shouldn't have done that" event - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

"I shouldn't have done that" event

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM

Default "I shouldn't have done that" event

We had taken my mom and dad, along with our grandson, to see the Strasburg Railroad in Pa. We have a 36' Pace Arrow Limited. The campground we were in was atop a rather large hill/field. The site we got dropped off in the rear for several hundred feet. Jack backed the MH in and lower the jacks. We had to extend the rear levelers all the way up to get the thing level and it was pretty scary looking out and seeing that field and being so high in the air. Jack had stepped out of the MH to check things out and all of the sudden, I felt a movement. I realized that the MH was falling backwards and heading towards that long, long downhill slide. The jacks had reached their limit and were slowly folding up on their own under the MH and the MH was falling backwards. All I could think of was the jacks were folding up and we were going to careen down that long hill and crash into whatever was at the bottom. I was prepared for the worst and was fully prepared to "ride the wave" to the bottom...actually didn't have much choice. I was concerned for Mom and Dad and TJ, when suddenly the MH hit the ground. Much to my amazement, it didn't swoosh down the hill. It stopped. Thank God...we seemed to say that alot over the years...Jack rearranged the MH and we made out okay after that. Another lesson learned the hard way. Don't over extend the jacks on a hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

WOW, what a story that is YIKES that must have been so scary...

Glad the trailer dropped in place and all worked out for you.

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Camping Extraordinaire
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Wow that must of been scary . I am glad it all worked out for you. It gives all a reminder how important those jacks are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Holy moly, I had chills just reading, couldnt imaging what it was like to experience it. Yall are lucky. So glad to hear everything worked out ok in the end, you have a great (I think) camping story to tell for a long time.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM

Makes you wonder whey they always say "Camping is fun". Glad someone was looking over you and your family.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

I watched some premarital counseling videos once that prescribes camping to build a strong family. The reason:

Families are made stronger when they survive an adversity together.

And camping guarantees adversity. It is a story that you all have bonded together a little stronger by being able to retell together!