Just bought a new camper. - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

Just bought a new camper.

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Just bought a new camper.

Me and my wife have camped for years. We started out in a tent, then went to a used pop-up, then a new pop-up. Now we bought a 2008 Gulf Stream 31' with a super slide. We can't waint to pull it. We always take grankids so the extra room will be great.Any one have a Gulf Stream? What do you think of it? Now if winter would just go away it would be great.
Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Congratulations, good luck with her. I'm sure you and the grand kids will have a blast. Another couple of months, camping time around here.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Camping Guru

I'm not familiar with Gulf Stream but the fact there's many of them on the road for many years and they are still making them is a very good thing. All rigs will have some early problems, some more serious than others. Hopefully, they are easily remedied. The more you learn about taking care of a big trailer the better times you'll have with it.

31' long with a superslide sounds like a heavy towable. I hope you have more than you need to tow it. While many are known to be overweight, it can't be good for the long term. Just pay attention to its GVWR (and 10-15% for a tongue weight) and compare this to your tow vehicles ratings. You could be surprised by what you find out. Then weigh everything to keep track and this keeps you, your loved ones and everyone else safer.

That trailer will seem like a mansion when you are out there. You will be buying a whole bunch of trinkets and improvements to make it more to your comfort. That is one of the fun parts of RVing.

Our grandkiddies are real young (three total, 33 months, 5 months, 2 weeks) but we are looking forward to creating some great memories for them.

Keep us posted on your outings and welcome to this forum.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Camper

Thanks! Camping season will be here in a couple of months also.The grandkids are ready to go. I have a Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. This should pull it fine but we will find out if there are any issues.I'm going to have the camper weiged when we get it loaded and then get the tongue weight to see if everything is ok.Looks like you will have alot of memories to make with them grandkids.Them are some of the best times you will have.
Arthur
Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Camping Guru

You shouldn't have any towing problems with that truck! We will be looking forward to your posts when you are finally able to get out there. All this getting out there talk is getting me anxious. Me and the wife are gonna have to go somewhere. We don't have to winterize where we live and should be able to get some local trips somewhere just to enjoy.

You should actually weigh all axles just to be sure. Probably not in your case, but a heavier trailer can cause issues at the rear axle (or possibly the GVWR), but probably not in the case of that Dodge 2500 with the Cummins.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Camper

Let us know how the camping trips go. We can't wait for camping season.
Arthur
Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

congrats arthur on your new trailer purchase.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Camper

Thanks. I just downloaded some photos to my album. Can't wait to go camping.
Art
Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Addicted Camper

Arthur, I just checked out your new trailer. It looks great. As I said earlier, good luck and have a great time.
Bob
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Congrats on the new rig Arthur I bought mine from Hannibal right by you. So where will you go camping?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Camper

Thanks. Where did you buy your camper? We like to camp everywhere. We can't decide if we what to rent a campsite for the year or not. Where do you like to camp? We are always looking for somewhere new to camp.
Art.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

We bought ours at and sorry I wont spell it right but Balinstiens something like that and we go to Hermen alot neat little full hook up spot right in the middle of town and were winos so yes its awsome also Hawn state park is nice. Merimac outfitters is cool. Just check out the MO DNR website lots of great camping near you.