6 June 1944 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

6 June 1944

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MacGyver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default 6 June 1944

Remembering all the fallen, American, Canadian, British and French. We will remember them.

Visited the beaches a few years ago from Utah down to Sword, then inland to St Marie Eglise (Red Buttons dangled from the church tower in the film The Longest Day), to Pegasus Bridge where the British Parachute landings occurred

Also visited Omaha Beach cemetery. Very moving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

I don't know that I'll ever get back to that side of the pond, but even if I did, I doubt I could handle visiting those places. Even some of the documentaries I've seen get me teary eyed - especially when they're interviewing men who fought there and they start losing control, unable to speak. I don't know how many have seen it, but I just saw the video of the 97 year old veteran who just did a tandem jump in a re-creation of the D-Day landing. Very sobering...

I've definitely turned into one of those guys we used to call a mean old man. Too many kids today look at World War 2 as something that happened way, way back in history and something that has no bearing on their lives today. I don't know that Japan alone could have defeated the West, but if Germany had done what it set out to do, (for lack of a better phrase right now) things would be radically different in the world we know.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...-idUSKCN1T62FN

https://abcnews.go.com/International...sault-63496727
Babstreefern likes this.

Last edited by MacGyver; 06-06-2019 at 05:52 PM..
Old 06-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Just looked at the videos. Very moving. I'll tell you something MacGyver, they have more guts that I do jumping out of the plane. I don't have the head for heights at all

It brings it home to you when you see all the war cemeteries in the area of what is all about. I apologise that I can't download any of my photos