Anyone here like to hike? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

Anyone here like to hike?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 05:45 AM

Default Anyone here like to hike?

Anyone here like to hike? We have started hiking with the family. The kids had a lot of fun. We are sticking to beginner and moderate trails. Do you have favorite gear or things that you always bring when you go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

We've hiked and camped at most of the Pa state parks. They have lots of great trails and scenery. We just did Ricketts Glenn state park this past weekend and hiked about 4 miles of the most beautiful waterfalls you will see in Pa. 2 weeks prior to that we went to the Pa grand canyon, about a 1/2 hour from the New York state border just outside of Wellsboro Pa. Wonderful scenery, and this time of year the leaves will be changing colors soon, so we'll be going back for the "fall foliage" hike.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

We have been hiking for years all over the southern U.S. Big Bend National Park, Grand Canyon, and most recently Yellowstone.

I always wear Hiking boots and hiking socks, usually long sleeve shirts and pants, no matter what the temp. Each person should have their own canteen of fresh water and even an energy bar.

I say this because we were at a state park on an easy 1 mile trail that was mis marked. It turned into an 8 hour 15 mile hike with no food or water. Beginner mistake.

In addition, bring a decent camera and maybe a pocket size book on plants and even rocks. Also, learn to recognize the poisonous snakes, and poison oak, ivy, and sumac.

If you are going to hike in areas where misquitos are bad, avoid wearing dark colors, and do not wear cologne or perfume. I try to avoid repellant as much as possible but keep the off handy. Also, bring campho phenique or mentholatum to put on the itchy bites.

Hope this helps

Jack

JackW
2016 F-250 Superduty
2019 Jayco 27SGX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Forgot to mention, get a Hiking stick for each of you. Helps with the hills and you can get neat nail on pins to commemorate where you have been hiking.

J

JackW
2016 F-250 Superduty
2019 Jayco 27SGX
Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM
_
Camper Type: None

Also carry a lighter - if you do get lost and have to spend the night, you will appreciate a fire.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM

We went on our second hike which was 3.6 miles round trip up a mountain to the firetower. It was absolutely awesome.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Default What I like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestcamper View Post
Also carry a lighter - if you do get lost and have to spend the night, you will appreciate a fire.
Lighters are great but I like FireSteel:
Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel - Austin Kayak - Product Details

Also, a CamelBak hydration pack is a must for me. Let's me carry snacks, water, and simple first aid, plus a rain jacket and keeps my hands free.
CamelBak MULE Hydration Backpack - Austin Kayak - Product Details
Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestcamper View Post
Think maybe you hiking too far.lol I'd run out of beer before I got lost,therefore I only hike to other campsites.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM

I love to hike! Unfortunately, there are not too many hiking options in central IL. Took a trip to Arizona last year and did some hiking. I think good hiking shoes can really make or break a hike as Jack said. Others have mentioned good stuff as well. Enough food or snacks depending on the length of your hike can also make it a better experience.