I headed south, but never came home - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

I headed south, but never came home

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Camping Extraordinaire
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default I headed south, but never came home

I headed south for the winter about 10 years ago, but unfortunately I never returned home, thanks to my southern boy husband . Kind of funny how things work out, now we head north for the winter holidays, think we have it all wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Tennessee is the fartest North I care to travel. Earlier this month, sitting on the beach in Mexico, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Camping Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill0830 View Post
Tennessee is the fartest North I care to travel. Earlier this month, sitting on the beach in Mexico, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
Yes, but it sure is beautiful up there this time of year. And ice fishing, snow mobiling, sledding, now i miss home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Default Reply:

Yes you are right if some one is fully equipped for cold, you can enjoy ice fishing, snow mobiling etc. Makes you not want to return home while you are fishing and sledding, etc... We have decided to go there sometime. How should we prepare for it?

Last edited by camp219; 01-07-2008 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp219 View Post
We have decided to go there sometime. How should we prepare for it?

One thing you have to remember is the cold is not forgiving. Camping in extreme weather is dangerous and harsh if you are not used to it. Further, if you are not used to winter of any form, camping will be very difficult.

I grew up in a area where winter was common. Then I moved west and on that first winter day when it hit 40 below, I had no idea what cold was. I was in shock and there was no way to even describe to my family back home what extreme cold was like. I mean we had been used to maybe 10 below.

I got frostbite on my ears and have suffered my whole life because of the damage. It was so painful.

So if you decide to camp, better to witness and experience the cold in safer conditions before camping.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Camping Extraordinaire

I wouldn't want Campingforfun to scare you away from going somewhere wintery-you just have to be prepared for it, which is easier now more than ever because of the internet. There are many good sites to advise you on how to dress for the cold. I guess growing up in Minnesota-40 below zero does mean winter to me. That is the first think I think of when someone says winter--below zero temperatures...
The cold weather gear is so much better than when I was growing up. I encourage you to go where they have "winter". Minnesotans take pride in their winter--They have a winter carnival, usually in January, which would be a great time to go there.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:35 PM

Smile

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to sound so melodramatic - lol - Of course winter can be fun. I lived in Manitoba for five years and certainly learned to do many great things outdoors.

It was just I got started in the cold the wrong way.