For many people, camping was a staple childhood experience. There is just something wonderful about spending time in the great outdoors, living off the land with limited amenities. Just because you are camping, however, doesn’t mean that you always have to be “roughing it”. With these top ten camping hacks you can enjoy your camping experience much more fully.
Tips for Making Your Camping Experience Better
Camping as a child is one big adventure but when you get older it becomes more difficult to sleep on a bed of rocks or to keep your children busy without the use of electronics. Below you will find a list of the top ten camping hacks that will make your camping experience better for everyone involved:
1. Use Foam Floor Tiles – If you feel like bringing an air mattress on a camping trip is just a little bit too cushy, consider using foam floor tiles instead. By lining the floor of your tent with foam floor tiles you can make your sleeping experience a little bit more comfortable without losing the camping experience entirely.
2. Build a Hand-Washing Station – If you are worried about germ-infested port-a-potties, building your own hand-washing station is a great option. Use an empty laundry detergent dispenser filled with water and strap a paper towel holder to the top of it. Place a bottle of liquid hand soap next to the dispenser and you have yourself a complete hand-washing station.
3. Make Your Own Firestarter Kit – If you aren’t particularly talented at making campfires, bring along a few homemade Firestarter kits. Fill the slots of an empty cardboard egg carton with match-light charcoal and then place one carton in the middle of your fire pit and add the wood around it. Light the charcoal and let it burn.
4. Use Sage to Repel Mosquitoes – Don’t let mosquitoes ruin your night around the campfire! Bring with you a few bundles of sage leaves and throw one into the campfire every evening to keep mosquitoes away for hours.
5. Freeze Water to Keep Coolers Cold – Rather than buying new bags of ice every day, keep your cooler cold by using frozen jugs of water. When the jugs melt, you can use the water for cooking or drinking!
6. Bring Plenty of Microfiber Towels – Microfiber towels are very thin and can be folded or rolled up into compact bundles. Not only are they easy to store and transport, but they are highly absorbent and they air-dry in a matter of hours. Use these towels to dry off after swimming or showering or to dry things off after a rainy day.
7. Wrap Duct Tape Around a Water Bottle – You never know when a little duct tape might come in handy so keep some nearby by wrapping it around your water bottle. When you need to use the tape, simply unwrap it!
8. Keep Your Meat From Burning – If you plan to cook with the campfire there is a simple thing you can do to keep your meat from burning – just wrap it in cabbage leaves and then in foil! The water content of the cabbage leaves acts as a barrier against the heat of the campfire.
9. Make Your Own Lantern – Create a homemade lantern by strapping a headlamp or another portable light source to a translucent water bottle or jug. Just make sure that the light it facing inward and the bottle is full of water.
10. Keep Your Feet Warm – If you struggle with cold feet at night, try placing a bottle of warm water in the bottom of your sleeping bag. You can also try keeping a few extra pairs of socks in your sleeping bag so you can change into them at night.
By using these top ten camping hacks you can make your camping experience a little bit easier and a little more enjoyable for everyone. Just because you are making things a little easier on yourself doesn’t mean that you aren’t still having the ultimate camping experience – it just means that you will be able to walk in the morning and you won’t have to deal with your kids complaining about boredom.