Beginner RV'er - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Beginner RV'er

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Unhappy Beginner RV'er

Hi there!
I just bought a 5th Wheel, and I have no idea where to start with the water. Right now there is pink water coming out. Do I turn the taps on till the water is clear or put water in to the camper or drain it....i have no clue as to where i begin with this whole thing...if anybody could tell I would greatly appreciate it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildee View Post
Hi there!
I just bought a 5th Wheel, and I have no idea where to start with the water. Right now there is pink water coming out. Do I turn the taps on till the water is clear or put water in to the camper or drain it....i have no clue as to where i begin with this whole thing...if anybody could tell I would greatly appreciate it...
First of all, good to have you here!

Second - the pink water just means that the unit has been winterized with non-toxic RV Antifreeze. Run all your lines until it's clear, then go a little more, because there's usually some residue that needs to come out. Depending on where you're from, you'll need to re-juice your lines for next winter, if you're in a "freeze zone", as the water expands and cracks your pipes.

Your trailer's hot water heater also probably won't be working. You'll need to find the bypass valve and turn it on, so water can get into it. The heater should also be bypassed for next winter. Just make sure the "plug" is re-inserted into the heater before you open the bypass valve.

You learn as you go with this stuff, by trial and error, usually...but, people here can usually answer your questions!

Thanks, and have fun with it all!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
_

Welcome aboard

Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Addicted Camper

Welcome also. There are two other steps that you should do before using the water.

1. If you have a Suburban water heater you will have an anode rod that needs to be inspected and replaced if needed. I don't have a 5th wheel but here are my PUP photographs.

2. You need to sanitize the water system. This means adding a dilute solution of bleach (1/4 cup of bleach to every 15 gallons of water), running it though the system until you smell the bleach and let it sit for three to 12 hours. Also sanitize your water hoses. Then drain out the bleach solution and flush the system with tap water. Here are some PUP photographs on that process.

Hope this helps.

Ruide

My Mods and Pictures and My Weekly Blog
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Welcome to the forum!!!! Great advice here from bighabsfan11 and Ruide. Follow their instructions and you'll be just fine. Congrats on the new fith wheel. I too have a water heater and the anode rod that Ruide is talking about is also the drain hole for the water heater for winterizing. That's when I inspect my anode rod and replace if required.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Camper

Thank you all for the great info, Its all so very helpfull! There is so much more to a 5th wheel than I thought...where is my tent?? LOL....
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Camper

we just went from a pop-up to a fifth wheel and love it. nothing to it. Once you do it a couple of times you will be laughing at it.