doxielover - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

doxielover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default doxielover

Good morning from New Hampshire. This is my very first forum of any kind so bare with me.
We have had 3 campers in the past, have had water problems in 2 so we were really careful this time in purchaseing a used Keystone 5th wheel cougar with 2 slides. (04) The quality is something that is seen right from your first step into the camper and more so as you look under and over the entire unit. At th is moment we do not have a truck large enough to pull, but we are looking into that and have been informed that 3/4 ton with a super slide is the way to go. If anyone has a better idea we would enjoy hearing about your experiance. Thanks all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 AM
_

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Camper

Thanks! Looking forward to lots of great information to use...

Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Welcome to the forum doxielover101. Sounds like you've been doing your homework. You looking for a new or used 3/4 ton truck?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Camper

With so many available due to the world economy right now, I think we can get a really good used one for a decent price. We are looking around the New England area where we live. At the present time we will have it on our site in NH and when we find the right one will buy.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Camping Guru

There are lots to choose from. Personally I would love to get F250 Super Duty. I have a 150 right now and love it. But if we move up to a 5th wheel I'll be looking for one of those.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Camper

We have purchased Toyota's for the last 15 years and never and I mean never have a repair just routine care. So we are thinking Toyota again, just not sure which one and how large , regular gas or diesl...
Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Camper

Welcome to the camp site
Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Camper

Thanks..it looks really promising..lots of information to help
Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Camping Fanatic

Welcome to the forums. I think a diesel 3/4 ton with a super slide hitch would be an excellent setup. Its all a matter of preference on what truck of course, but I highly recommend a diesel for towing a 5'er of that size. Heck I was inches from buying one to tow my 19 footer

Ford Mainline
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Camper

We are trying to stay away from the diesel..cost of the fuel is a big issue. They have been giving us some really solid info concerning the pro's and con's of such a decision. Largely, what we are being told is that 3/4 truck should be able to pull our camper with ease in all situations advise a 4WD or AWD and a super slide so that turning is made really comfortable. We have time to think and look around so won't jump into anything in haste. Thanks for your comments ...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Camping Fanatic

Definitely understand that. 3/4 ton should handle it without any problem. I dont know for sure, but I would definitely look into MPG on a 3/4 ton gas vs. diesel. I know 3 people that tow 5th wheels with their 2 wheel drive diesels and get about 15-17 mpg towing. Depends on how you drive to of course. I know that is double what my 1/2 ton gasser gets towing a camper half the lenght of theirs, so I would be extatic with that mileage. I just personally wonder how much better a 3/4 ton gas truck could be on mpg, if any.

I am going through the same thoughts as you are about an upgrade. The wife says diesel is higher, we dont need to do it. True, but if I average 7 mpg currently at $2/gallon, and then go to diesel and pay $2.50/gallon and average 12-14 + MPG, I think I am still coming out ahead, at least not losing. Again though, you will be comparing 3/4 ton gas to 3/4 ton diesel, so a little different than what I am comparing at the moment.

Maybe a slight concern if any, I believe the 3/4 ton gas models have less resale value too, just a thought.

Good luck in your decision, I am just throwing out things to consider.

Ford Mainline
Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Camper

Thanks for your thoughts.. it is a considerable decision to make. We have two other cars, a Van and a sedan, the truck could be used for other things but mostly used to pull the camper. So when you consider all the cost factors involved one has to ask the question "how much is enough" ? I will rely on the judgement of my RV dealer, as he has nothing to gain, rather then the truck dealer as he has everything to gain. Again, thank you for your thoughts...this will be a decision not made in haste...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Send a message via Skype™ to grcooperjr

Hi there....and to the list from Portland OR
Old 04-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Camper

Ah, one of the places we want to visit, so far have not traveled to the west coast in our camper. Next May planning a trip to Colorado and heading over to Utah and hoping further west...