New Member - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default New Member

Hiya All

We are Mary and Stephen Brammall and have decided to take the plunge into RVing and Camping..We live in Plant City, Florida with our Manx Cat ' Chessie ' whom we hope will take to travelling with us.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions to ask as time goes on..

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

to the forum!!!!

You will find VERY helpful people here!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Hello. Fire away, great people here willing to help. Did you just buy a new camper? Do tell.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Camper

We are looking into the Jayco Liteweight Feather Sport Travel Trailer to tow behind our Honda CRV, as the Honda isn't really supposed to have a GVWR of more than 4560lbs...So our next step is to go to the Showrooms to get some ideas..

Stephen
Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 AM
_

Welcome aboard
Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Camping Fanatic

Welcome. Good idea to go to a showrooom, or even a show if there are any local ones happening. That is the best way to get acquainted with many different models and options. Then go out and find a good deal on one.

Ford Mainline
Old 02-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Welcome to the forum and welocm to camping, its allot of fun.

Hope we can help you with your questions.

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramm View Post
We are looking into the Jayco Liteweight Feather Sport Travel Trailer to tow behind our Honda CRV, as the Honda isn't really supposed to have a GVWR of more than 4560lbs...So our next step is to go to the Showrooms to get some ideas..

Stephen
Unfortunately, most of the time, I wouldn't trust what the RV salespeople say when it comes to weights and what your CRV can pull. Always trust the manufacturer's (Honda's) recommendation, and follow it. The trailer we bought was supposed to be able to be pulled by a Chevy Trailblazer, but that didn't work out so well. Couldn't really get it past 80km/h without the engine screaming, and then the line on the transmission cooler we had installed popped off, spraying tranny fluid all over the engine, which then caught on fire. It was out quick, and the damaged wiring was fixed, but we got rid of it, and bought a big diesel. All because the trailer was probably too heavy for our tow vehicle...within even the manufacturer's guidelines, but too much in reality, once we put all of our stuff in it, and all of us in the Trailblazer.

Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum, lots of great people here!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

wish I would have found this site a few years ago when we bought our first camper.We sure had to learn a few things the hard way(moneywise).As far as camping.I love it.and we have met the most wonderful people.I think folks who camp are the best! Welcome to this site!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabsfan11 View Post
Unfortunately, most of the time, I wouldn't trust what the RV salespeople say when it comes to weights and what your CRV can pull. Always trust the manufacturer's (Honda's) recommendation, and follow it.
Welcome to the forum, lots of great people here!
It would seem you're spot on with that ...after looking at the Honda website both here and in the UK...even though the US has a larger engine cc, I'm amazed that the UK CRV is allowed to pull up to 1600Kg or 85% of the dry weight of the tow vehicle, yet here in the US Honda recommend that 1500lb is the limit for towing ( which is about the amount to tow a cardboard box on wheels )..seems very conflicting to me, in the UK people seems to tow caravans round with a standard car never mind SUV's ..anyway off to sort the tow hitch out ..

Stephen
Old 02-13-2009, 08:11 AM
_

Another point to remember - when a car manufacturer gives you the total weight of car and trailer, that only takes into consideration the driver only (at 170 lbs.). Any other passengers or cargo will cut into that. When a dry weight is given for a camper, that of course means dry - no propane, no fresh, grey, or black water. Anything that is not standard is not included (A/C, fridge, microwave, etc. - if it's not standard but an option, it's not included).

We probably have more lawyers here than UK, so the car manufacturers have to cover themselves